Re: $20 'Toy' Deactivates Cheap Home Alarms, Opens Doors

On 9/13/2013 7:47 PM, NickMark wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2013 3:08:39 PM UTC-4, Ant wrote:
>> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/09/13/1341217/20-toy-deactivates-cheap-home-alarms-opens-doors
>>
>> --
>>
>> Quote of the Week: "When the ants unite their mouths, they can carry an elephant." --Mossian Proverb
>>
>>    /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
>>
>>   / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
>>
>> | |o   o| |
>>
>>     \ _ /           Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail. If crediting,
>>
>>      ( )          then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
>
> Another complete fucking nonsense article alarms do not use IR transmitters. even cheap ones

What I thought was funny is that you have to buy a $20.00 toy in order
to defeat a system that costs between $7 - $8.  Or you can do as the
author did and go on ebay and buy a frequency counter and oscilloscope
so you can build your contraption on a bread board.

At least, at the end, he says this, "So that's it. Have fun and remember
to buy a decent home alarm system next time you go shopping instead of
the cheapest one you can find."

Question is, how many average, everyday consumers have the ability to
know what a "decent" alarm system is...