Re: Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

"Danny D'Amico" <danny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:pan.2013.11.27.05.32.09@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 23:21:02 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:
>

> But I'm not sure *how* one scopes out prospective gel cells.
> For example, here's an ELK which looks like it should fit:
> http://www.surveillance-video.com/elk-06120.html?productid=elk-06120&channelid=BCOME

As long as the voltage is correct, and the form factor fits where you
want to put it, that is your primary concern.  Amp-hour rating should
be spec or larger.  Terminals are not really an issue.  The anal retentive
types will disagree, but if you have larger spade terminals, they will
work on the smaller spade terminals that some batteries have.

*I presume you already know the current battery voltage, if not, check and
 make note of it*

In your case, test the board output (bypass the battery cut-out
board--come directly off of alarm board) of the alarm board.
Power system off (unplug transformer).  Plug battery in and power
system back on.  Check the voltage at the battery terminals. 13.5
to 14.7 is an acceptable reading (anything 13 or above will work,
just takes a bit more time to recharge and will not give a true
full charge).

Note:  Most charging systems do not give grief when a battery is
       disconnected while the system is powered up.  I only state
       to turn off/disconnect power as a caveat.  Make certain that
       neither lead comes in contact with anything else.  Wrap
       each lead with tape or protect with non-conductive shell.

Unplug positive lead of  battery and unpowered system.  Let stand for
half an hour and check the voltage of the battery.  If above initial
low reading, and steady, your battery probably is still good.  You did
start out at 13.5, originally.

Plug battery back in and power up system and let charge overnight.
Unplug the battery and leave in place all day.  I do believe I do not
need to repeat myself as to how to do this.  After a minimum of six
hours, check the voltage of the battery.  Is it 13.5?

Of course, you may check the charging voltage in 1 hour increments to
verify that the charging system is lowering the charge voltage over
time.  Cooking a battery is not a good idea.

I still recommend buying a small U.P.S. to filter the input to the
system, and providing additional run time.  Someone here posted a
link to a battery cut-out unit that was universal.  Get it and install
it.  Don't mess with making the entire system OEM.  Make it work and,
if possible, work better.