Re: Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

On 11/27/2013 1:52 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 01:45:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:
>
>> I think I have a few removed from service main panels
>> out on the porch and if you like, I could dig into them and list the
>> chip sets on the boards and you could tell me what you think. ^_^
>
> I spoke to a few of the intrusion alarm guys, and they said they
> get used LOCKED boards all the time, but, they can't program them, so,
> they're useless as a resale item because of that.
>
> One guy told me that Bosch will provide him the unlock code
> for $75 a board, but, even if he gets the board for free,
> he can't make any money selling it at only $25 above that cost.
>
> So, he told me, they lock them to make all old boards useless.
>
> Of course, he probably had a specific view slated toward resale,
> but, if they LOCK the boards to keep the burglars out, I still
> don't get *how* the burglar is supposed to benefit.
>
> I mean, there must be *easier* ways to circumvent an alarm system
> than re-programming the whole thing, aren't there?

That crap you see on TV about a guy walking up to an alarm system keypad
with a magic box having a ribbon cable to plug into the alarm keypad,
popping the cover and cracking the code in under 10 seconds, it doesn't
work. The alarm would trigger as soon as the keypad cover was removed. ^_^

TDD