Re: Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:46:30 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

> I hope that you realize that you are not getting a reading
> off of the capacitor. Most likely that is the resistance of the
> other components on the board.

I used to use a capacitance meter (I forget what we called them
way back in the 80s in one of my lab classes), so, I'm familiar
with the fact that it's hard to measure capacitance.

However, I did think (errantly perhaps) that the capacitor
would show as a short or as an open if it were "blown".

Since it showed with resistance, I wasn't sure, what I was
reading. I *did* expect the voltage to climb slowly, since
the meter would have been supplying charge to the capacitor's
plates; so, the fact that the resistance was steady should
have been a good datapoint.

What I will likely do is take a trip to RadioShack and
buy a 1,000 uF 35V electrolytic of a similar size and
see if I can wire it back up.

I wanted to first draw the circuit so that I could figure
out how to test it though.

So, thanks for pointing out the faux pas in my measurement.
I appreciate the correction.