Re: Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

Danny D'Amico wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:54:56 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:
>
>> If the control board does not solve the problem, then what?
>
> Normally I don't throw parts at a problem.
>
> But,
> 1. The transformer is clearly bad (open secondary).
>     So I have one on order and another coming in via warranty repair.
>     But, this is not mandatory for operation anyway.
>
> 2. The battery protection board clearly has a capacitor that has
>     melted leads on the underside. What I plan on doing there is
>     replacing the capacitor; but this is not an important board
>     for operation either.
>
> 3. When I put 12VDC to the main circuit board, it beeps a long
>     beep, and nothing else happens.
>
>     So, what does that tell me?
>
>     It *could* be that the board simply needs to be "reset", so, I'll
>     read all the manuals I found here:
>     http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Radionics/D2212/
>
>     Or, it could be that the battery is bad. So, I'll charge the battery
>     and test it under load, to see if that's the problem (but I don't
>     think it is simply because the board is only drawing 100ma at 12VDC).
>
>     Or, it could be that the D2212B circuit board is bad. If that's the
>     case, I'll try to troubleshoot it by testing where the power goes
>     when I plug in the battery.
>
> But, the board should only cost about $100 so it's not all that bad
> to just replace it. Bosch says they have plenty in stock, so, all I
> have to do is find someone who will sell them to me as a pass through:
>
> Bosch sells the board to ADI or to Anixer, who then sells it to a
> pass-through contractor who sells it to me.
>
> If the board doesn't work, then I'd be surprised; but it would then
> be time to replace the entire shebang.

Hmmm,
Sorry to say this, I think you don't have basic logic TS skill and
expertise/experience. Can you use Huntron tester or simple Boolean
algebra for an example? One way of logical TS is process of elimination.
You did not eliminate anything yet. Ever heard of shot gun method?
When you are in a hurry, you do it based on your experience.
Or you'll never pin point what is wrong. I lived all my life from
Vacuum tube era in electronics as a hobby and career.