Re: On Topic: PIR LED off or on afer installer walk test?

On 9/24/2013 4:44 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
> There are pro and cons to leaving the LED *on* a PIR after you walk test
> it and leave the installation.
>
> Honeywell wireless PIRs specifically state to turn off the LED after the
> walk test to conserve battery life.
>
> The LEDs do get annoying for the occupant, especially at night when you
> just want darkness and watch TV.  A PIR in the master bedroom with a
> bright light is downright annoying.
>
> The LEDs reassure the customer the damn thing is still working.  Less
> service calls?
>
> The LED can "tip off" a potential burglar (think inside job at a retail
> establishment) to blind spots.  He has time to study the protected area
> and it's no coverage area with the LED on.
>

> So......
>
> The big question:
>
> Do you leave the LED on or off in an ideal installation?  The Cx will
> know you turned it off - so leave instructions to walk test it with the
> keypad for them.
>
> Personally, 99.5% of my hardwired PIRs were left with the LED on.  I'm
> thinking it may be better to turn them off for the annoyance factor and
> someone able to "case" the joint.
>
> What say you all?
>
> LED on or off?

Back when I did commercial systems, I was sneaky because the customer
wanted higher security and was interested in catching any insiders who
may wish to case the joint. Some of the PIR/microwave motion detectors
had the LED left on and some of the motion detectors were hidden just
like I'd set up the cameras. Fake cameras and the real ones hidden. ^_^

TDD