Re: I Want Out

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:22:09 PM UTC-5, John Smith wrote:
> I've been an alarm dealer for nearly 20 years and I want out.  I don't ha=
ve=20
>=20
> a bunch of accounts 140-160 give or take.  I don't have asshole contracts=
.=20
>=20
> Just simple annual auto renewing contracts with 60 days written notice to=
=20
>=20
> cancel.  Last time I looked into it none of the big contract buyers wante=
d=20
>=20
> to talk to me (I had 180 or so contracts then), so I am not sure where to=
 go=20
>=20
> with this.  I'm just tired of being a contractor.  I want to do something=
=20
>=20
> else. Heck even just being an unlicensed handyman would be a pleasant=20
>=20
> change.  Anybody know who I would talk to about getting a decent buy out =
on=20
>=20
> my accounts?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Somewhere out west.  (Not Kalifornika)
>=20
>=20
Not that I can help you much but all I can suggest is that you keep trying.=
 You might even try calling some of the local alarm installation companies =
or other central stations in your area. Sometimes they're open to taking ov=
er a small quantity of accounts. Of course, since you don't have contracts,=
 it's going to be tougher to find a buyer but sometimes there are alarm com=
panies that are looking to grow and will take a chance on buying non contra=
cted accounts. Don't expect that they're going to pay a whole hell of a lot=
 for them though. I would expect that if you could show that your accounts =
were with you for a long period that it would add some credibility when you=
 were talking with them. Keep in mind that if you sell your accounts to any=
one but your own central station or to a company that also uses your centra=
l station, you will have to go to all of your accounts and reprogram them t=
o dial the new owners central station and they will also want to hold some =
money in escrow for a year or so to cover any accounts that cancel in the y=
ear following the sale.  You might ask your central station if they know of=
 any of their other installation company customers that might be interested=
 in buying your accounts.=20

Just an aside, there used to be a participant in this group that swore that=
 term contracts weren't necessary and he was selling systems with one month=
 cancellation notices. He just couldn't come to terms with his thoughts tha=
t term contract were taking advantage of the customers versus benefitting f=
rom his years of efforts.  I sure wish he was still here to read this. I ca=
n't imagine what would make anyone not want to protect their investment. 18=
0 accounts @ $20.00 a month could have brought you somewhere around $40 to =
45,000.00. Maybe even more during this time of low interest loan rates. I w=
onder if you can even expect half of that.