Re: Win7 Compatibilty Mode

Hi Les,

I had a similar problem when I upgraded to Win8.

I was using XP for a lot of years and had some old programs from Win98 that
were compatible with XP but were not going to be compatible with Win8. So I
brought the old desk top tower down to the computer guy in town, got a new
hard drive installed and he partitioned the disk so that I have XP
(including all the win98 programs) running in one partition and Win8 running
in the other partition. I can't use them simultaneously but right now I
don't have any need for that and don't think I ever will. (I don't use Win 8
on the old computer... see below).

(Note that I have some applications that are compatible with XP and Win 8
too)

I have two desktops. The other one is new and running Win 8 and XP in
separate partitions also but I don't use the XP in the new computer. The
reason I did this is .....  I understand that MS has an application that
will allow two computers to "sync" files automatically when both computers
are on line at the same time. I figure that if I ever need to get anything
from any XP operating system to any Win 8 OS , I'll just set up that MS
syncing application and I'll be able to transfer (sync) between computers. I
know it's cumbersome but I don't anticipate that I'll need it a lot. It just
seemed that it was a good idea to prepare for the worst.

Through the years I've tried some of these backward compatibility "fixes".
I've set them up just in case I ever needed them and when it finally came a
time that I "reeeeally needed to use it ...... they just never seem to work.
Just when you're having a dire need to transfer some info you find yourself
troubleshooting the transfer/compatibility application for 2 hours with no
results. For some reason usually due to updates etc. if you're not using it
every day so that you can make adjustments when changes occur, by the time
you need it, there are so many changes and updates and incompatibility
issues that have occurred over time, it just isn't worth the time to fix it.

I also have a USB transfer cable/application that I can use in a pinch.
I use that to backup panel programing data from my field laptop to my
desktop.
You just set up a file with the same name in the "other" computer, plug in
the cable, tell it where you want it to go ... and it's done. Not for big
amounts of data though.

I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways of doing it but .... This is all
down and dirty and works for me.

Jim,

My approach has been a little different.  I have one old machine that is
dedicated to do Downloads.  It is a WIN98SE machine.  This is the one that I
currently am having issues.  I need to do something before I lose it all.  I
had two drives installed and both are identical.  I use a program called
(Allway Sync) that transfers new data on C:/ to D:/ when some thing changes.
I can manually do it as well.  If C:/ crashes (as it just did) I then switch
the jumpers from Master to Slave and Slave to Master and reboot and I am
back in business.  Then I have a program call (Acronis) that will make a
back up of the full drive and write it to another drive making a clone.  I
have the machine networked on my LAN and I can easily transfer data files
from my XP netbook to the DL machine to keep all up to date.  That has
worked rather well until lately when the C:/ crashed and after switching
found that the other drive has bad sectors and some other issues.  They have
been running for about running for maybe 10 + years or more.  Which brings
me to find other solutions.

Although I may end up continuing my original plan since I just ordered a
couple of NEW IDE drives.  Found them on eBay for $10 each.  If I can keep
the system running for $20 that sure beats getting a WIN7 machine and
experimenting with Compatibility Mode for hours and hours at no solution.

Then again I can get a used WIN7 machine as well for about $150 to play with
at my leisure, if I can find any....... leisure that is.  :-)

Les