Re: Win7 Compatibilty Mode

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:05:32 AM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hey all,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Has anyone in here ever set up a Windows 7 Machine and used the=20
>=20
> Compatibility Mode to run any older Alarm Software for maybe Windows 98=
=20
>=20
> SE???
>=20
>=20
>=20
> If you have tried, how easy or successful was the process??
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Les

Hi Les,

I had a similar problem when I upgraded to Win8.=20

I was using XP for a lot of years and had some old programs from Win98 that=
 were compatible with XP but were not going to be compatible with Win8. So =
I brought the old desk top tower down to the computer guy in town, got a ne=
w hard drive installed and he partitioned the disk so that I have XP (inclu=
ding all the win98 programs) running in one partition and Win8 running in t=
he other partition. I can't use them simultaneously but right now I don't h=
ave any need for that and don't think I ever will. (I don't use Win 8 on th=
e old computer... see below).=20

(Note that I have some applications that are compatible with XP and Win 8 t=
oo)

I have two desktops. The other one is new and running Win 8 and XP in separ=
ate partitions also but I don't use the XP in the new computer. The reason =
I did this is .....  I understand that MS has an application that will allo=
w two computers to "sync" files automatically when both computers are on li=
ne at the same time. I figure that if I ever need to get anything from any =
XP operating system to any Win 8 OS , I'll just set up that MS syncing appl=
ication and I'll be able to transfer (sync) between computers. I know it's =
cumbersome but I don't anticipate that I'll need it a lot. It just seemed t=
hat it was a good idea to prepare for the worst.=20

Through the years I've tried some of these backward compatibility "fixes". =
I've set them up just in case I ever needed them and when it finally came a=
 time that I "reeeeally needed to use it ...... they just never seem to wor=
k. Just when you're having a dire need to transfer some info you find yours=
elf troubleshooting the transfer/compatibility application for 2 hours with=
 no results. For some reason usually due to updates etc. if you're not usin=
g it every day so that you can make adjustments when changes occur, by the =
time you need it, there are so many changes and updates and incompatibility=
 issues that have occurred over time, it just isn't worth the time to fix i=
t.=20

I also have a USB transfer cable/application that I can use in a pinch.
I use that to backup panel programing data from my field laptop to my deskt=
op.
You just set up a file with the same name in the "other" computer, plug in =
the cable, tell it where you want it to go ... and it's done. Not for big a=
mounts of data though.=20

I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways of doing it but .... This is all=
 down and dirty and works for me.=20