Re: PTZ info

a12... > On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:35:50 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >=
> "Jim" <alarminex> wrote in message >> news:89be7162-ade1-4660-abad-117dcc=
b1b1b5 On >> another CCTV job coming up, client is asking for PTZ camera. L=
ast time > >> I installed a PTZ camera ( many years ago) I needed multiple =
conductor > >> cable and a controller to operate the PTZ. From what I can s=
ee now it's > >> done through RS232 connection. I'd appreciate any informat=
ion anyone has >> > on how PTZ works nowdays. > Two or four wire connection=
? > > What is >> the power source ..... same as the camera I presume.Do you=
 need > larger >> conductors for power because of the additional power requ=
irements > of >> the PTZ? > > What about control from the DVR locally and r=
emotely via >> IPhone through > the DVR? Are there different signal/format =
protocols? >> For instance, will > one manufacturers PTZ camera work with a=
ny other >> manufacturers DVR or are > is there no standard and you have to=
 match >> DVR's and PTZ's ?? > > If using baluns can a single Cat5 handle v=
ideo, >> power and PTZ? I'm sure > there are distance limitation also but n=
othing >> over 150 feet in this job. > > Anyone have any experience with "n=
ewer" >> PTZ? > > Thanks. I pretty much use the Pelco Spectra Domes, but ma=
ny are >> similar. They use either RS-RS 422 over a single twisted pair for=
 >> control, or in some cases (like Spectra Dome) they can have control ove=
r >> the same coax as the video. Also, it depends on what you are integrati=
ng >> it with. I use mostly Dedicated Micros DVRs and they integrate nicely=
 >> with Spectra Dome cameras and have full control capability over twisted=
 >> pair locally and by remote, and 95% control over coaxitron. Client >> s=
oftware and web interface both give access to PTZ controls, but PTZ >> cont=
rol for this pair does not seem to be fully integrated in most of the >> sm=
art phone aps except one that is server subscription based. I have not >> f=
ully tested the newest ap from DM as Robert Chou's Ip Cam Viewer Lite >> wi=
ll access DM and other brands of DVR, NVR, and IP camera making it more >> =
flexible for many of my customers. -- Bob La Londe The Security >> Consulta=
nt > > > I use Speco DVR's but pick and choose my cameras depending upon th=
e > application. I've found Speco DVR's to be quite hardy. Some out there f=
or > over 5years without even a hard drive change. I have yet to ask Speco =
> about their PTZ protocol but thought I'd pass it through here first to > =
gain a little insight about the subject before I talk to them.=20

Just about everybody supports Pelco-P protocol with their DVRs. The biggest=
 problem is actual Pelco PTZs are pretty expensive.

As I say, I haven't talked to Speco yet but since they mfg/supply/import th=
eir own brand of equipment, I'm sure (at least) that they have PTZ cams tha=
t are compatable with their DVR's. Just not sure if they've gone and made i=
t exclusive so that you only have a choice between buying one expensive cam=
era or another expensive camera.=20

We'll see. I'll post what I find out.