Re: On a search

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:08:05 AM UTC-4, Frank Kurz wrote:
 I've used both the Edwards, Mircom and Notifier UDACTs (two line diallers)=
 with some success. The second channel goes through a DSC GSM unit which yo=
u can either loop back to the primary phone line or just leave disconnected=
. The DSC unit provides a dialtone which will prevent the second channel fr=
om going into line fault trouble in either case. Both channels will transmi=
t full system status as long as you've programmed them to report in CID. On=
 a side note, there's been some problems with the GSM-3060's dropping off t=
he network (so I've heard). We've got about 200 of them in the field and, s=
o far, we've had no issues. Frank -- Fire Protection Technicians Network ww=
w.firetechs.net

Sommmmme Daaaaay ...... DSC may be able to finally get it right.

I had that problem years ago with one of their cellular devices. That's whe=
n they first came up with the "brilliant" idea to do away with redundant re=
porting. When I complained about the fact that the telephone line could wor=
k for 10 years before the radio ever got to transmit .... they said OH .. b=
ut it sends in the supervisory signal so you know it's going to report. Sur=
e nuf .... they had a recall a couple of months later when they discovered =
that the radios were sending in supervisory signals even when they couldn't=
 transmit an alarm signal.=20

Then most recently after the Sandy storm I had one DSC GSM radio left. Afte=
r customer got power back I went back to get the system back on line and th=
e radio wouldn't work. I called DSC and was told .... OH YEAH, that radio h=
as a problem. When you loose power and the battery goes to zero .... the un=
it is shot.   AGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I guess it was a little too inconvenie=
nt to issue a notice to the trade.=20

Needless to say..... No more DSC in my future.=20

Besides, their equipment is made out of tinfoil, dried mud and compressed c=
ardboard.