Re: Portable 120V Welder

"NickMark" <nmarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:fb3c7991-a8af-431c-ba16-3f1e2ca921b4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:21:30 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> I know most of you guys don't do this sort of thing, but as part of my
>> alarm
>>
>> business I have often found myself having to weld a handle on a gate
>> after
>>
>> installing a spring bolt and access controlling it.  My original 120V
>> welder
>>
>> did a dozen of them on the first job site I ever took it on, and it paid
>> for
>>
>> itself.  (I only had to do two, but the property owner saw my work and
>> asked
>>
>> me to do all of the gates on the premise with the same type handle.)
>>

>> Anyway, here is what I have to say about that original welder and its
>>
>> replacement.
>>

>> For years I used a Harbor Fright 120V machine for this sort of thing.
>> After
>>
>> I cut a huge hole in the case and put a giant fan on the back of it, it
>> was
>>
>> useable.  It was also cheap.  After about 15 years I got frustrated with
>> it
>>
>> yesterday.  I was fitting a trailer fender between two steps, and I was
>>
>> going to tack the inside liner plate in place with the China box, and
>> then
>>
>> after it was locked into shape, unbolt it to finish welding in the back
>> of
>>
>> the shop with the Miller 212.
>>

>> I made a couple practice welds to make sure I had it right and then I
>> slid
>>
>> under the trailer.  It made an arc, and then quit feeding.  Somehow the
>> wire
>>
>> got stuck in the liner.  I had no issue taking the tip off.  It was
>> seized
>>
>> in the liner.  Cut to the chase.  I set it aside and looked on line to
>> find
>>
>> that Lincoln has a little 110V wire feed that is JUST for flux core.  No
>> gas
>>
>> at all as near as I can tell.  Since I never used gas on the portable
>> stuff
>>
>> anyway I figured why not.  Better yet it was on sale.
>>

>> Holy crap.  This thing welds about 100 times better that the Harbor
>> Fright
>>
>> China box and has at least ten times the duty cycle, and it was cheap.
>>

>> Pro Core 125.  Anything heavier than about 12ga will require multi pass
>> (I'm
>>
>> used to that), but it does it.  Holy crap.  I made about a dozen tacks on
>>
>> the bottom inside the fender to hold the back plate on.  Only 2 didn't
>> look
>>
>> good, and only one did I have to go over.  A mix of a dozen vertical and
>>
>> overhead welds from a crappy hack welder (me not the machine) and they
>> were
>>
>> 90% good and good looking.  Wow!  I took the fender off to weld some
>> beads

> [...]

P.S.  I actually considered starting a Made in USA rating company for
labeling purposes.  I wouldn't make anything or provide anything substantial
I would just blackmail manufacturers into paying me to rate their products
on a scale for how much of it was really made in the USA.  Of course I'ld
have to make them pay all the costs of my world travwel to inspect all
thefacilities where its made too.  Basically get paid for being a bully like
UL or NFPA or the BBB.  LOL.