Re: CCTV with Cat5 and what I've learned.

On Friday, January 18, 2013 2:51:22 AM UTC-5, E DAWSON wrote:
> Hi, I would recommend a new balun supplier. There are baluns that fit in =
the close configuration of the inputs in the back of the dvr, so you would =
not need any dongles. I would also recommend that you look to purchase your=
 baluns directly from the "source"; that will take a lot of your current co=
sts out of the loop. $16 for each balun is like buying a gallon of milk for=
 $32... go to the source.=20
=3D
Thanks for the input.'

As a matter of fact, the cost of the baluns was $16.00 a PAIR ... so I don'=
t think that was TOO bad. I was willing to pay the extra for the ability to=
 choose how many conductors I could use for power by using screw terminals.=
 I have to say, that after I got all the parts and started looking at it, I=
 realized that I really didn't need to run the power THROUGH the baluns, I =
could have just connected the three pair of Cat5's to the power adapter plu=
gs and just purchased video carrying baluns. How I came to my decision to b=
uy the baluns that carried power and video came from originally looking at =
baluns that used RJ45 connectors that carried both power and video. I didn'=
t look back from that point to figure out that I didn't actually NEED to ru=
n the power through the baluns.=20

I am aware of all that follows.=20

But thanks for the advice. Fortunately I had a lot of "wiggle" room price w=
ise on this job which is the reason I used it as a shake down run for using=
 Cat5 in the future. Even with all the "extras" I'll still get away without=
 taking a loss.=20

If you strip back each Cat5 so as to allow the one pair to hook up to the v=
ideo balun, then you channel the 3 remaining power pairs to your power supp=
ly. You can group the power pairs from 4 or 8 cam wires to go neatly to the=
 power supply. You can use that flexible split black-plastic tubing to make=
 it look real neat. It can be purchased in different diameters to accommoda=
te your design...and it is cheap. In order to protect the integrity of the =
video pair to each balun so that the wire is not stressed in any way, you c=
an also group the outer plastic housing of the Cat5 from 2 to 4 cam wires b=
y tie wrapping them together with a stress lead that takes the brunt of any=
 yanking that will surely happen someday. The leads can be attached to the =
dvr directly on a housing screw if needed. So, the video pair out of the Ca=
t5 outer sleeve is about 3-4 inches long, and the power wire pairs are as l=
ong as you need them; 12, 24, or 36 inches. There are no additional wires o=
r leads involved or needed. The only stripping of wiring is at the last hal=
f inch of the video pair... do bend it back in half so that the screw termi=
nal has a bigger bite of contact. Also, the power pairs, as long as they ar=
e properly labeled, also only need to be stripped at the screw terminals of=
 the power supply. I agree that coax feels a lot stronger, but there is a r=
eason why the internet goes thru Cat5 and not coax... cost and efficiency. =
Did you notice that each pair in a Cat5 is twisted in a different way? The =
different twists allow all those transmissions to least affect each adjoini=
ng pair. Lets say that you have 2 cams somewhat close together, but at a di=
stance from the dvr. As long as you are within limits, one Cat5 can be run =
from one cam to the other, and then to the dvr. Cam #1 can use red for powe=
r, and blue for video. Then cam #2 can use brown for power, and green for v=
ideo. Now that should be much less cost for you than having to pay for two =
separate siamese coax. At about $65/1000' for Cat5, I don't know how a coax=
 job could be cheaper. Even more, when the camera is much further and you n=
eed all three pairs for power, it is still much cheaper to only need one Ca=
t5 per cam. When you have an extremely long run, depending on the job, ther=
e is usually some kind of electrical feed line in most buildings. Sometimes=
, it is worth the cost to figure into the job of having an electrician inst=
all a simple outlet for the power supply. Then you can use only one Cat5 fo=
r four cameras. Just think of how much less copper there will be to buy. I =
hope that this has helped you in some way to same money in the future.