Re: Residential video surveillance questions

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 10:48:22 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
=20
> Thanks.  I really do appreciate the feedback.

I can't teach you 30 years of experience on here in a few sentences so let =
me just say this when it comes to Video Cameras:

First, in general the better the specs/settings, the more data used on the =
hard drive. so less recording time.
So, with that being said, keep these things in mind:

Recorded Image Resolution: The higher the better. (1024x768 is better than =
640x480)
TVL or (Horizontal) Lines of resolution: The higher the better (470-540 Lin=
es) The resolution of the monitor must be higher than the camera. This is n=
ot a problem with Black and white monitors, but is a problem with most colo=
r monitors as they usually have a lower resolution as compared with a camer=
a.
Lux (seeing in low light): The lower the better
Lens: Smaller the number (mm)the wider the picture, but further away (less =
detail) and below 2.5mm - 3.0mm you get "Fish Eye" distortion in the pictur=
e.
The LARGER the number (mm) the closer the view (more detail).
The more light in the viewing area, the better the picture, but again, more=
 data being used. (white pixels are ON, black pixels are OFF)so a brighter =
image uses more data than a darker image.
Don't aim the camera directly at a light source (light bulb, sun, etc.) or =
you will burn out the image chip same as your eye. Avoid looking at sunrise=
/sunset in a direct angle view.
Opt for an Auto Iris Camera for outdoor use. Higher light levels cause the =
iris to close as needed.
In my opinion, since you are putting this on his network anyway and you see=
m to be concerned with identification of someone in the yard doing "bad" th=
ings. for a higher cost but much greater detail, just put an IP camera in. =
They are High Def. cameras with a resolution and clarity that cannot be ach=
ieved with analog CCTV cameras. (Coax data throughput has reached it's limi=
t with analog cams). A 1.3 Megapixel IP camera has a res. of 960 lines and =
a 3.1 MP cam has 1536 lines compared to the highest analog (Color) of 540 l=
ines (B&W is 600 Lines). So, figure out what you REALLY need and what you c=
an REALLY afford, take a look at that link and then go shopping. :) Good Lu=
ck!

Here, this should help you some more: http://www.idealcctv.co.uk/cameraspec=
ifications.html