Re: I singed up for Obamacare!

Bob La Londe Wrote:

>"JoeRaisin" <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On 12/14/2013 1:38 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>>> Have you thought about this.... One of the founding principals of
>>> America was that we wouldn't have the debtors prisons of Europe.  You
>>> can not be thrown in jail for owing money you can't pay... but you can
>>> be thrown in jail for tax evasion.  So what if you still can't afford
>>> health insurance and you can't afford to pay the fine (that the Supreme
>>> court has said is a tax).  What are your choices?  Federal prison for
>>> tax evasion or indentured servitude to the federal government?
>>
>> Heck, even if they don't put folks in jail, they will still be able to
>> create a whole bunch of new felons - felons who cannot own firearms...
>
>I considered that too.  It also reduces the jobs open to a person.

I agree this is a potential outcome, but far from being a realistic one.
I know a guy that has owed the IRS over $100K for longer than 18 years.
There has never been a threat by them to criminalize the debt.  He
explained to me the difference between not paying and actual "evasion"
once, but I don't remember offhand and I don't want to throw out an
incorrect explanation.  It had something to do with "evasion" being the
intent of hiding from them (either on paper or physically).

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin