Re: How to adjust camera surveillance system with only one person?

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 6:01:19 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
I find that is important to learn something new everyday. I have been readi=
ng this thread and trying to understand the process. I have most always had=
 a warm body to help with the set up of cameras. I have done it myself by t=
aking the output feed off at the camera and hooking up a small composite mo=
nitor at each camera. A bit of a PITA but it does work to a point. I think =
the problems have to do with the resolution of the monitor in that the came=
ras need an extra tweak when I get back at the head end. This why I added m=
y .02cents on the topic, because I did not know about this WiFi possibility=
. I will be the first to admit that my knowledge of WiFi is very limited to=
 almost non-existent. So please allow me to type out what my understanding =
is of this process.=20

First install a wireless router and connect direct to the network connectio=
n of the DVR.=20

Yes

 Then set up the port forwarding of the required port to the IP address of =
the DVR just as I would do for remote or mobile viewing of the cameras just=
 as if a high-speed was being setup.
This is not necessary since you won't be accessing the DVR from the Interne=
t.

 Then enable the WiFi portion of the router to allow access to any other de=
vice such as a laptop or iPhone. Then have the laptop or iPhone search for =
available WiFi connections.=20

Yes

 Log On and connect. Bring up IE or the mobile viewing app and enter requir=
ed info and view DVR and cameras.

Yes

You'll have to download the viewing app for your laptop/Iphone/Ipad ... pre=
viously from a location that is connected to the Internet, since the locati=
on of the cameras doesn't have Internet capability.=20

The following could vary depending upon the DVR that you have. Here's what =
I have to do using Speco DVR's. Go into programing of the DVR. Find out wha=
t the "local port" is on the DVR. (It should be something like 100 or some =
times a four digit number.) ( If I were going to connect via the Internet, =
I would have to obtain the External port number also so that I could port f=
orward the router to that port number and the port number for audio if ther=
e was audio listen-in)You also have to obtain the IP address of the DVR. It=
 should be something like 198.168.1.1. If it is something like 10. 1.  2.  =
1 you'll have to set the DVR setting to automatically obtain an IP address.=
 It's different with different DVR mfg's. Once you have an IP address that =
your router can identify (looks similar to the routers IP address) change t=
he DVR back to fixed IP address.=20

Now go to  your laptop/Iphone/Ipad and sign on to IE. Enter in the IP addre=
ss of the DVR like this. If the IP address of the DVR is  198.168.1.2. and =
the local port was 100, enter the following in IE  198.168.1.2:100 OR .....=
. you may have to start up your remote viewing app and enter this info ther=
e. It varys.=20

Move router as needed to keep signal strength up.=20

Yes

Does that about sum up the process or am I missing something?? Thanks for a=
ny input.=20

Les

I think I just learned something new today also.=20
Don't try to explain how to set up a DVR to someone in a Newsgroup. :->

I might have missed something. After awhile, when you're actually setting u=
p the DVR you just go to the next logical step and don't think about what y=
ou're doing. If I missed something, hopefully someone will correct me.=20