Re: Security System in NH

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 9:50:54 AM UTC-4, Brian Tilley wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking to have a home security system installed in NH. Any sugge=
stions on what company's equipment (ADT, Lifeshield. etc), or a local insta=
ller? Why do folks feel wired is better; just the fact that they don't need=
 batteries, less visible? Any useful suggestions/info would be welcome.

Im not in NH but generally speaking I'd suggest that you stay away from the=
 nationl companys like ADT. I don't know what Lifeshield is but if there is=
 any mention of the word "Free" in their advertising, run, run as fast as y=
ou can.=20

Psssst! NOTHING is free.

Nowdays, functionally, there's no difference between a wired or wireless sy=
stem. The main advantage of a wired system is that no matter how the techno=
logy changes, the wires will always be there. You'll only ever have to chan=
ge components should a problem occur in the future. With wireless, if the t=
echnology changes, you could possibly have to replace the entire system. Th=
e main advantage to wireless is that there is virturally no disruption of c=
onstrction of the home. And yes, with a wireless system the transmitters ar=
e visible on your doors and windows and you do have the battery changing ta=
sk. With modern systems however, the time interval is anywhere from 3 to 7 =
years, depending upon use.=20

I'd suggest you look in the local yellow pages just to familiarize yourself=
 with the names of some of the local companies and then talk to some people=
 you know who already have alarm systems installed. In this trade most work=
 comes from referrals. Security is more a personal decision and you want to=
 know that you're talking to a company that someone you know has had a good=
 experiernce with.