Re: Cheap network dvr 4-8ch

news:eb1584a2-a8f5-492c-8b5b-e7b09c07eeb4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Monday, November 19, 2012 11:41:10 AM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Just remember that there is a lot of variety, and I am relatively new
> (just a couple years) to using IP cameras and NVRs as opposed to analog
> cameras with a DVR which I have been doing for more than a decade. Some of
> my stuff typed out off the cuff might not be exactly spot on. You always
> have to check the specs of each individual component, and then see if they
> live up to their brags.
>
> You're that far ahead of me. I've put this off for some time now. But it's
> time to start. I've got a couple of IP cameras that I bought off someone
> who wasn't going to use them and I'll begin by experimenting with them and
> eventually get an NVR and find out about all this "licensing" crap ....
> which potentially annoys the hell out of me. It seems nowdays that
> everyone wants to be my "partner" holding their hand out trying to make
> money on the fact that I'm installing something that they want to control.
> Napco, DSC, Honeywell, Alarm.com, Control 4 ....  the guy on the corner
> with the cup .... Jeeeez

Licensing is a one off charge from what I have seen.  A typical NVR comes
with X many licenses, and you can add more licenses to add more cameras upto
the maximum data handling capability of the NVR.  (Most cap at 32, but Pelco
has one that goes upto 128)  Some MFGs will include licenses (usually
promotional only) with cameras if you buy them from them with the NVR.  Its
not usually convenient for me because often mixing and matching with
different MFGs and models often allows me to fit exact point applications
better.  Its usually pretty restrictive too.  Some of the more reputable
MFGs do allow you to transfer licenses to a new unit.

Corby used to do that kind of thing with their access control systems.  You
would buy hardware from them, and they would tell you it would do everything
you wanted, but they didn't volunteer that it required separate additional
licenses for every feature you wanted to use.  If you hadn't already been
screwed once and know better you would find yourself in the field with an
anxious customer looking over your shoulder wondering why you couldn't get
their system up and running.  Then you would have to buy the updates out of
pocket because you had already quoted the job.  Been there.  Done that.  I
CAN recall the last time Corby did that to me.  It was in 1999.  LOL.  In
their defense.  The system is still working with no maintenance or service
except new batteries.