Re: Monitoring Conversion

On Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:50:46 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:
> Hey all,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Sometime ago there was some discussion about a device to assist in a=20
>=20
> takeover of a panel with out having to do any programming.  As I=20
>=20
> remember it was a thingie that plugged in at the RJ31X and would=20
>=20
> communicate to your C/S.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Anyone have a name or model that I can search for??
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Les

Hello from LaLa land Jim. Glad to see you're still here. I've pretty much l=
eft the group except to check back in from time to time.

You're correct about greed and dishonesty being the driving motive behind a=
 lot of business activities. However, those of us who really care about mak=
ing our industry truly professional, can't just sit back and do nothing whe=
n abuses such as this are widespread. Nothing worth doing is easy, and ther=
e are never any guarantees in life, but you have to take some kind of actio=
n if you want to see things improve. It's often surprising to see what can =
be accomplished if one person takes the lead and pushes an issue.=20

Just to recap. I have no problem with any company locking a board THAT BELO=
NGS TO THEM AND IS NOT PAID FOR. My problem comes in when companies routine=
ly lock boards for selfish reasons, with no regard to unlocking them when t=
he contracts are over. As you know, I have been unlocking boards for years =
for other companies and home owners being held hostage by the original alar=
m companies. When an abuse of something becomes as widespread as it current=
ly is,and the abusers are held to no standard at all, nothing will ever hap=
pen. All this hoopla about programming belonging to the original company is=
 just that..hoopla, and it doesn't amount to a hill of beans in this argume=
nt, since we are talking about "after the fact". The bottom line is, no ala=
rmco has a right to lock boards that don't belong to them - period ! And fa=
r too often, once a customer moves and / or the contract is over, the alarm=
co will never bother to put the panel back in usable shape for the next use=
r, simply because in this industry of ours, no one gives a damn about any o=
ther company and especially about the consumer! It's all about protecting t=
he revenue stream and to hell with other companies. And the consumer gets t=
rapped in the middle!

I'm not going to rattle on about this. You know my "crotchety" feelings abo=
ut this kind of theivery (because that's what the abuse of this feature is)=
, but I will continue to push this at several different levels. The biggest=
 problem is consumers are unaware of this restriction on their properly rig=
hts until they become a victim, so there is little overall push to change t=
hings. I promise you, I am in the process of changing that !!

Anyway, all the best to you Jim. I hope the damage to the Eastern seaboard =
didn't cause you any personal grief. I'll check in again from time to time =
to rattle your cage....:))