Re: Eaton Corp. to buy Cooper Industries

On Sunday, May 27, 2012 9:30:45 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

> Yeah, its hard to take Ann McCaffrey seriously as Sci Fi.  She doesn't spell
> it out until you are a dozen books in.  By then you are sucked into her
> Dragon Riders world anyway.  I like some Fantasy, but I don't really like my
> Fantasy and Sci Fi mixed together.  The Practice Affect was probably one of
> the best pieces of original magical fantasy I have read.
>
> ON THE FLIP SIDE... how do you explain Phase & Proton?
>

> > I read lots and lots of Asimov, The Foundation and Robot series. Lot's of
> > Heinlein, Methuselah's Children and following Lazarus Long in subsequent
> > novels. Stranger in a strange land and Bradbury, A sound of Thunder,
> > Fahrenhiet 451, I sing the body electric.
>
> Read all of those except I Sing the Body Electric.
>
> > I liked the Dune series too.
>
> Never cared for it myself.  I waded through the original book twice before I
> really got it.  Way too much verbose face flapping / keyboard smacking.
>
> > And I liked most of Arthur Clarks work,except towards the end of his
> > career. One of the most memorable was ( for me, anyway ),one by Clark. Not
> > a profound or popular novel but just memorable because I never suspected
> > what the ending was until I read it. Childhoods End.
>
> I read a fair amount of Clark, but "Rendezvous with Rhama" was a waste of
> paper.  I was a huge Saberhagen Fan, and I read a lot of Niven.  Even
> Niven/Purnelle had some redeeming qualities.  I think I read every single
> thing Asimov published in book form.  I thought he pussed out in the end
> though... "We'll pick this way.  Not because it's the best, but because we
> can change our mind."  It wasn't the logical conclusion.  I read the 2
> classics by Bradbury, but I found them to be awkward reading.  Not sure I
> remember "I Sing the Body Electric."  I'm going to go look that one up.  I
> did read a lot of Philip K Dick.  He was a little twisted, but very
> creative.  In retrospect its obvious he was a drug addict.  I think I read
> all the publish books by Heinlein, but I might have missed one.
>
> I did read the ORIGINAL, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
>
> > But now .... like you ... I read technical manuals and spec sheets and
> > research equipment for audio video installtions.
>
> Yeah, just when exactly did the latest MSC Industrial flier become more
> interesting than the latest issue of Playboy?  LOL.
>
> > I still try to watch out for a good Sci Fi movie when I see an
> > advertisement. Some of them are pretty good. I'm usually more impressed by
> > the special effects nowdays, than the story line. Most memorable of the
> > oldies is Forbidden planet and This planet earth.
>
> I have to say they did a decent job with the latest Star Trek movie.  Yeah,
> they pulled a "Who Shot J.R.?" and destroyed Gene Rodenberry's happy little
> universe, but now the way is open for a whole new era of creativity.
>
> I have to say if you are into super heroes Stan Lee and company have been
> doing a really great job of making modern day setting movies out of the
> [...]

Here's one for you.
You've heard that discorse about  .... if a tree falls in the forrest is there a sound.

Well here's another one similar.
If a man is sitting alone in the forrest and his wife is no where around him, If he has an opinion ........ is he still wrong?