Re: DSC phone line technical support is terrible

On 5/14/2012 9:35 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> "tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I hope DSC is listening and getting this message ! Their phone line
>> support is not adequately manned, with wait times up to hours not
>> minutes. While I realize that a lot of questions are from installers
>> asking questions they should know if they were trained properly, or if
>> they would take the time to read the install manuals, that does not
>> excuse this terrible level of support. As installation companies, we
>> suffer the same thing, with questions from end users who can find the
>> answer on page one of their user manual; however, that is not an
>> excuse. Suck it up as we do, and continue to provide proper support !
>>
>> Please fix the problem or you are going to find a lot of people
>> switching alarm suppliers to manufacturers who do support their
>> customers
>
> LOL. I feel your frustration. Been there with everybody for the last few
> years. I can still get an ear at Napco and setup an appointment for a
> conference call in advance for a particularly odd problem, but DSC, ADEMCO,
> and even Napco all have longer wait times than they used to and if its
> really not an, "Oh yeah! Duh! I knew that," call it can be quite difficult
> to get one of the "good" techs on the phone. I think it's a sign of the
> times and the industry. The alarm trade will follow the telephone trade
> into the abyss.

Speaking of "Duh!" support calls (or should I use the term, "Doh!")

I was at a bank with a DMP panel.  Added four points and moved the cell
unit.  The Bank's security remote programmed and I tested the signals
through with no problems.  Now, I did disconnect the ethernet cable to
make sure the cell unit was functioning properly.  Everything worked and
got it all buttoned up.  As I was getting confirmation the programmer
noted that one of the points had the wrong vernacular and was just going
to hit the panel real quick and fix it.  Except he couldn't hit the
panel, couldn't even ping it.

By the time I was dialing tech support I had checked everything, tested
all wiring for continuity, tested all ethernet and phone cables for
proper construction and basically shoved my meter leads into into every
aspect of the system I could think of.

Link light on, activity light flashing, everything worked, except it didn't.

Well, by now most of you already know what the tech support guy said
that made me feel like a real noob.

First thing out of his mouth...

"Did you power cycle the panel?"

"Gaaah!  I KNEW that.... really... I'm not a moron... well, you know,
except for right now..."