Re: DSC phone line technical support is terrible

On Monday, May 14, 2012 11:04:29 AM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
> On Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:23:36 PM UTC-4, mleuck wrote:
> > On Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:28:44 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
> >=20
> > > I have never used DSC all through the years. Occasionally, when I run=
 across their equipment I usually pull it out and replace but I do have a f=
ew that I've continued to service. The first thing I notice about their equ=
ipment is that it is "flimsey" Thin metal, soft plastic, "cardboard" PCB's,=
 components "look" cheap, etc, which translate to me as .... well ....."che=
ap". It's not that their products don't work .... it's just ..... cheap.=20
> >=20
> > It's a circuit board, it doesn't have to do anything other than what it=
 is designed for, being "cheap" isn't going to change how long it lasts or =
how well it works in fact it's remarkable how much integration they have.=
=20
>=20
> What's remarkable is that the board doesn't break when you're trying to t=
ighten the screws. It looks and feels as if it's made out of compressed pap=
er.

Bullshit, I've warped the hell of of those boards removing them from those =
plastic pins and they work fine. Something you couldn't do several years ag=
o without breaking internal traces.

> > If you compare it to Napco's circuit boards you see something overbuilt=
 with tons of discrete components, every one of those resistors, diodes and=
 capacitors you see on a Napco board have to be hand soldered which adds to=
 the cost and are one more point of failure. But hey it sure feels pretty s=
olid eh?
>=20
> Wave soldered. Field repairable. Not going to break or flex when thighten=
ing screws. Decent terminals and size screw to attach multiple wires. The b=
ox doesn't bend when you put a battery in it. I wouldn't buy it for the sam=
e reason I wouldn't buy a KIA or cheap tools. Obviously, people have differ=
ent standards by which they work and live. You live on the cheap side. I do=
n't. You get away with what ever you can get away with. I don't. You shirk =
responsibility whenever you can. I don't.=20

I will agree with you on the terminals but those GEM boards have way too ma=
ny components. And KIA currently makes some of the more reliable cars out t=
here. (I don't own one)

And you have no idea that I shirk anything.

> > Most likely it was the way you asked the questions, next time don't swe=
ar at them so much. It didn't take me 20 calls to figure out how their setu=
p works.
>=20
> I'd guess that was because you're used to their cheap products and I'm no=
t. But then again, you only need to know what's in the manual, and just eno=
ugh to make it look like you know something about a product, not actually h=
ow to install anything.

Usually what's in the manual is all you need, doesn't take 20 calls to Cana=
da to figure something like that out. And like I said I've not seen DSC or =
anyone use a photocopied manual in over 20 years so I imagine what you had =
was ancient

> > I'd be curious to know when this was and what product you were dealing =
with, the last time I've seen them photo copy a hand typed manual was in th=
e early 90's
>=20
> That you'd even be able to say that tells their story of professionalism,=
 and quality.
>=20
> But mostly ..... emmmmm ....just fuck off.

Typical