Re: DSC phone line technical support is terrible

On Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:05:33 AM UTC-4, tourman wrote:
> I hope DSC is listening and getting this message ! Their phone line
> support is not adequately manned, with wait times up to hours not
> minutes. While I realize that a lot of questions are from installers
> asking questions they should know if they were trained properly, or if
> they would take the time to read the install manuals, that does not
> excuse this terrible level of support. As installation companies, we
> suffer the same thing, with questions from end users who can find the
> answer on page one of their user manual; however, that is not an
> excuse. Suck it up as we do, and continue to provide proper support !
>=20
> Please fix the problem or you are going to find a lot of people
> switching alarm suppliers to manufacturers who do support their
> customers

I have never used DSC all through the years. Occasionally, when I run acros=
s their equipment I usually pull it out and replace but I do have a few tha=
t I've continued to service. The first thing I notice about their equipment=
 is that it is "flimsey" Thin metal, soft plastic, "cardboard" PCB's, compo=
nents "look" cheap, etc, which translate to me as .... well ....."cheap". I=
t's not that their products don't work .... it's just ..... cheap.=20

Awhile ago, someone asked me to evaluate their cellular radio. Getting thro=
ugh to technical support and waiting were a problem but getting their techn=
ical support people to give me answers to directly asked questions was even=
 a problem. Me, having a very questioning mind, there were things that didn=
't make sense to me about the fucntioning of the device. I'd say that, ....=
 I had to call as many as twenty times and gradually "PULL" the answers tha=
t I needed, out of them. That is .... the answers could have been given to =
me at any time during our conversations but I guess that it may have seemed=
 better to the people I was talking with, to not open up the can of worms o=
f providing me a reason to ask more questions ..... of THEM.=20

At the end of it all, my opinion was that each person I spoke with knew wha=
t the ultimate answers were that I was looking for but rather then THEM tak=
ing the time to give them to me, they knew that I was going to have to call=
 back again and that I'd probably get someone else who would have to take t=
he time to talk to me. The problem was ..... everyone I spoke to did the sa=
me thing.=20

In addtion to all of this, the reason I had to call and ask questions in th=
e first place was because the "manual" that came with the product was a cro=
okedly made photo copy of a hand typed and stapled 12 page manual that had =
little more than hookup instructions in it. They utimately had a recall of =
the unit because it was doing periodic checkin's even though it wasn't able=
 to transmit during an alarm. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.=20

There are other products from manufacturers that are out there that I don't=
 use, simply because I'm satisfied with what I'm using. But I don't use DSC=
 on purpose.=20