Re: DSC 1555MX and PC1616 in alarm

On Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:44:41 AM UTC-4, tourman wrote:
> On Mar 24, 4:43=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:08:00 PM UTC-4, tourman wrote:
> >
> > > RHC: It's been a week now and the silence is deafening. To me that
> > > says a lot about the state of our industry....:((
> >
> > Silence in the group or this thread?
> >
> > Group has been slow but not dead silent.
> >
> > But,I told you how this is going to end up, Robert. Ya gotta picture it=
 now. Two old geezers, down in Florida in their respective nursing homes, s=
itting on the sun porch in their wheelchairs with lap blankets, "think typi=
ng" to each other on their IBrainphones about the pro's and con's of long t=
erm contracts. Both of us not realizing that it is long =A0past the time af=
ter Magic Jack has taken over all alarm monitoring in the world, in The Clo=
ud.
>=20
> RHC: Well you could be right about it, at least as far as this
> newsgroup is concerned. There's not much life left in the old lady
> anymore. Seems to have died off right after RLB passed away...dunno
> what that says, but it is what it is.

It says that if you weed out all the BS that went on all those years, along=
 with all of the great participants that left in disgust, because of it, an=
d who will never return ................... this is what's left. It didn't =
have to be this way if only we could have found a way to curtail the abuse =
and instigation of turmoil. But as you say ..... it are wat it are.=20

>=20
> I wouldn't worry about VoIP; that's never going to amount to much for
> alarm purposes, since it is designed without error checking, and was
> never designed for digital data. Besides IP communications is coming
> up so strongly that it will quickly surpass it, since it works. Five
> years from now, every board manufactured will come with IP on board
> including the necessary RJ45 connector. VoIP...also a dead issue

Well, IP has got to have more reliablity test time under it's belt before t=
he industry ( particularly the fire industry) is going to trust it. Radio/c=
ellular seems to be coming along oK but without two way communication, I do=
n't think it should be acceptable.=20

>=20
> I'm not sure I'm going to bother with this newsgroup much anymore, but
> after 15 years it's hard to discard. It's also discouraging to think
> that few others care to deal with the ills of our industry unless they
> directly impact their bottom line...

Well I've been participating since 1998 and I don't remember that you were =
posting for at least the first couple or few years, unless you were using a=
 different name early on. But I just sort of sign on as a matter of habit n=
ow. Every once in a while someone will ask a question or I have one. Seems =
that as comparatively inactive a group as it is .... it's still the most ac=
tive alarm group in the ALT. groups.=20

I kind of agree with you on that last line. Seems to me that instead of get=
ting more secure we're letting more and more holes appear in the equipment =
design and monitoring procedures.=20

I'll see if I can start a new thread about something that's been bothering =
me for sometime now. I don't know if it's just my inability to know about a=
ll products on the market or if it's a trend. Gimmie a few days, I'm pretty=
 busy right now. =20