Re: StarLink2 Radio

On Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:27:03 PM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:56:13 PM UTC-5, ABLE1 wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >=20
> > Anyone have any input on the Napco StarLink2 Radio??
> >=20
> > Advertising says it works with any panel.  Says it is GSM and cost=20
> > is less than $100 and low monthly fees.
> >=20
> > Just wondering what pro's and con's there might be.
> >=20
> > Thanks in advance.
> >=20
> > Les
>=20
> I'm not absolutely positive about this but .... I think this is a NearNet=
 >product designed for Napco. I've had good success with their regular >Rad=
ios because there's a good tower network in my area and I want >redundancy =
reporting and most of the other radio mfg's only provide this >capability i=
f you use their panels. I've never used NearNet's full >reporting radios wh=
ich I think the "Star" line is a modified version for >Napco.=20
>=20
> I'll see if I can find out more about it but it won't be for awhile. >Pre=
tty busy now.

Still busy but briefly, I can pretty well confirm that Napcos "Star2 radio"=
 is a Nearnet designed device. It has some short comings and (I think) uniq=
ue features, but generally it seem to fall in par with the other radios I'v=
e seen or heard about. I don't use them that much so I can't really comment=
 on "all" radios. It seems as if you can change sim chips between two diffe=
rent providers in the event you can't get a good signal with one. Also has =
a "takeover" capability where you program it to send your data in the event=
 you are taking over another companys panel and don't have access to their =
panel programing.    =20

I don't know if that's a good thing ..... or not. Depends on which end of t=
he stick you're holding .... I guess.