Re: Left or right? How to determine?

<chasbo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:10dql7dl8l1da0s8nfuirsne66isk2dlut@xxxxxxxxxx
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:31:27 -0400, "ABLE1"
> <royboynospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>><chasbo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for all your comments.
>>>
>>> I've found this little exercise interesting and revealing; never
>>> gave
>>> it much thought before.
>>>
>>> Though not quite clear in my message, my intent was to determine
>>> how
>>> the left and right side of a building is defined, so that I can
>>> direct
>>> people to that location orally or by printed word, using the
>>> adjectives left and right.  I am beginning to believe that there
>>> is no
>>> standard or universally accepted protocol for buildings.
>>>
>>> In my search I have found that some people say the left side is
>>> the
>>> side of the building that is to the left of the front of the
>>> building
>>> as viewed from outside the building while facing the front of
>>> the
>>> building.  [For this exercise the front is the portion of the
> [...]
>>> and
>>> which mimics vehicular flow, appears in wide usage:   Most
>>> people
>>> stay
>>> to the right of oncoming pedestrian traffic, whereby the
>>> oncoming
>>> flow
>>> passes us on the left. The sidewalk has no left or right
>>> designation,
>>> only the pedestrian flow. And the practice seems to have
>>> permanence.
>>>
>>> My garage:  In all my 50 years of home ownership my garage has
>>> not
>>> and
>>> will not rise to the level of importance to earn a permanent
>>> left
>>> and
>>> right designation. Consequently I need a few more words when
>>> issuing a
>>> directive. When I direct my daughter to fetch a rake from the
>>> garage I
>>> say, "It's on the far left when you go through the overhead
>>> door."
>>>
>>> Should a house or building rise to the level of importance that
>>> they
>>> have a fixed and permanent designation as to left and right,
>>> regardless of the position of the viewer?
>>>
>>> Will continue to search for an answer.
>>>
>>> Thanks all.
>>>
>>> Charlie
>>

>>Dear Charlie,
>>
>>Given your current state of
>>.....confu...anxie...desper...frustra............. observations.
>>would also like for you to contemplate the following.
>>
>>1)    While talking to a fellow in Idaho, he told me, "He was
>>planning to go UP to Vegas."
>
> And if going to Maine he'd be going downeast.
>>
>>2)    When my wife is being "navigator" on a long trip, she turns
>>the map upside down when we are going south because she then knows
>>which way to turn.
>
> And if she turned over the map your turns would be left rather
> than
> right.
>>
>>3)    While traveling across a river on a double-decker bridge,
>>are
>>the people on the lower level going under the bridge or over the
>>river??  Don't know.
>>
>>4)    If a rooster lays an egg at the peak of the barn roof, which
>>side will it roll towards??
>
> The downside.
>>
>>I think that the four(4) 'above' or is it 'prior' examples should
>>keep you pondering into the next milemimum...................
>
> I do Soduko puzzles to relax.
>>
>>Have a good next week and beyond.
>
> You too. Nice chatting, but I really have to go.  A friend left a
> big
> bag of money on the left side of this very large abandoned house,
> and
> on the right side are two pit bulls.  You see my dilemma? Until I
> get
> an answer to my left and right side problem I don't want to take a

Charlie,

That would be easy to figure out.  Go to the opposite side of the
house from where the growls are coming from.

Put a little more challenge in to in and contemplate this one.

You are locked in a dungeon and there are two doors.  One door leads
to freedom and one leads to shear death.  There are two guards with
you in the dungeon.  One always tells the truth(always) and one
always tells lies(always).  You are allowed one question in order to
gain your freedom.  What would that question be??

BTW your egg answer was incorrect.  Sorry Charlie, it was a trick
question.  :-)

Les