Re: Left or right? How to determine?

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:31:27 -0400, "ABLE1"
<royboynospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>> the
>> side of the building that is to the left of the front of the
>> building
>> as viewed from outside the building while facing the front of the
>> building.  [For this exercise the front is the portion of the
>> building
>> that contains the main entrance, front door, etc., as defined by
>> the
>> architect/builder, and in most cases is easily recognized by all
>> of us
>> when we arrive at any building.]
>>
>> Therefore it follows that the left and right of something in many
>> cases is what the viewer says it is based on the viewer's
>> location.
>> It's a temporary designation with no permanence attached to the
>> viewed
>> object, and has no lasting importance, as in, "Hey, Joe, look at
>> that
>> blonde, over there to the left of that tree!"
>>
>> However, the left and the right side of many things remains fixed
>> forever and of great importance regardless of the position of the
>> viewer, and if instructed to locate a particular side, we all know
>> where it is or where to go without hesitation, for example:
>>
>> The left lane of a multiple-lane highway, the left side of a car,
>> bus,
>> train, plane; the left pocket in a pair of pants, a left shoe.
>>
>> A common practice to facilitate the flow of pedestrian traffic,
>> and
>> which mimics vehicular flow, appears in wide usage:   Most people
>> stay
>> to the right of oncoming pedestrian traffic, whereby the oncoming
>> flow
>> passes us on the left. The sidewalk has no left or right
>> designation,
>> only the pedestrian flow. And the practice seems to have
>> permanence.
>>
>> My garage:  In all my 50 years of home ownership my garage has not
>> and
>> will not rise to the level of importance to earn a permanent left
>> and
>> right designation. Consequently I need a few more words when
>> issuing a
>> directive. When I direct my daughter to fetch a rake from the
>> garage I
>> say, "It's on the far left when you go through the overhead door."
>>
>> Should a house or building rise to the level of importance that
>> they
>> have a fixed and permanent designation as to left and right,
>> regardless of the position of the viewer?
>>
>> Will continue to search for an answer.
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> Charlie
>

>Dear Charlie,
>
>Given your current state of
>.....confu...anxie...desper...frustra............. observations.  I
>would also like for you to contemplate the following.
>
>1)    While talking to a fellow in Idaho, he told me, "He was

And if going to Maine he'd be going downeast.

>2)    When my wife is being "navigator" on a long trip, she turns
>the map upside down when we are going south because she then knows
>which way to turn.

And if she turned over the map your turns would be left rather than
right.

>3)    While traveling across a river on a double-decker bridge, are
>the people on the lower level going under the bridge or over the
>river??  Don't know.
>
>4)    If a rooster lays an egg at the peak of the barn roof, which
>side will it roll towards??

The downside.

>I think that the four(4) 'above' or is it 'prior' examples should
>keep you pondering into the next milemimum...................

I do Soduko puzzles to relax.

>Have a good next week and beyond.

You too. Nice chatting, but I really have to go.  A friend left a big
bag of money on the left side of this very large abandoned house, and
on the right side are two pit bulls.  You see my dilemma? Until I get
an answer to my left and right side problem I don't want to take a
chance on choosing the wrong side.

Charlie