Re: Theft alarm for portable generator?

Tutto Allarmi had written this in response to
http://forums.cabling-design.com/security-physical/Re-Theft-alarm-for-portable-generator-60106-.htm
 :

tourman wrote:

> On Sep 14, 1:50=A0pm, Curmudgeon <eht...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I have a Concord Express home alarm system monitored by Vector
>> Security. They have so far been unable to help me with my
>> question:
>>
>> I have purchased an expensive portable generator to provide power
>> during our frequent outages. The generator is stored in my garage,
>> but
>> must be wheeled outside to the driveway when it is in use. I would
>> like to devise some sort of sensor that would trigger the alarm
>> system
>> if the security cable is cut or the sensor is disturbed. Can you
>> suggest anything that might work? The generator will be run under
>> cover, protected from rain/snow but open on the sides for
>> ventilation.
>> As an additional deterrent the generator will also be chained to a
>> sturdy anchor system buried 36=94 in the ground.

> RHC: Seems you could do a couple of simple things

> 1-Make sure your chain is boron steel so it can't be easily cut. This
> type of steel chain is VERY expensive and must be matched with a lock
> of equal strength. Plan on spending $100 for a six foot length of
> chain and another $250 for a matching quality lock (remember this is
> only as good as the weakest part of the arrangement so if your post is
> mickey mouse so is the whole arrangement.....)

> 2-You could also wire up a loop from a spare zone on your alarm panel
> with a switch on a 24 hr loop underneath one of the wheels. If it
> moves, the switch opens and the alarm goes off. However, make sure you
> put this on an "on off" bypass switch in the garage so you
> can close
> the "always armed" closed loop when you need to position or
> move the
> generator. Wouldn't hurt to have a second siren in the garage so it
> adds a little emphasis to your alarm signal..

> 3-A visible sign outside stating " premises monitored by video
> cameras" might help even though it's only a ruse...

> What the hell....options 2 and three are easy and cheap

CCTV surveillance can provide visible and effective deterrent against all
types of crimes including burglary. Security camera systems are now
available at prices that meet varying needs and budgets.
http://www.tuttoallarmi.com/

|            http://forums.cabling-design.com/             |
|              *** a better way to USENET ***              |
| no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup |
|    alt.security.alarms - 56049 messages and counting!    |