Re: Speaking of phones...

On Friday, June 15, 2012 1:22:12 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> I got a call the day before yesterday.  Somebody told a phone system clie=
nt=20
> that I can fix anything.  They have had noise on their phone system since=
 a=20
> major power failure several months ago.
>=20
> They'd had another company look at their phones who just told them they n=
eed=20
> a new phone system.  They might, but I don't think so.
>=20
> I took a look yesterday, and I probably told them how to fix their proble=
m=20
> without me.
>=20
> They have AC circuit line noise.  Something on the same circuit as their=
=20
> phone system probably started making more noise on the line after that po=
wer=20
> failure, and the marginal conditions surrounding it.  Also, somebody adde=
d a=20
> clean air machine in the office where the KSU is, and whenever the fan fo=
r=20
> it kicks on their phone system noise increases.
>=20
> Now maybe their power supply could have filtered most of that noise excep=
t=20
> the AC to the KSU is a piece of romex coming out of the floor bundled wit=
h=20
> the incoming phone wires and the outgoing extension wires.
>=20
> They pretty much guaranteed that any excess noise on that line will be=20
> induced onto their phone lines and extension lines.  Sigh.  I don't know =
how=20
> they ever didn't have noise, but the first thing they needed to do was=20
> disconnect that piece of romex, find anyplace else (like the ceiling betw=
een=20
> floors) its parallel or bundled with and disconnect and abandon that part=
,=20
> and run a new dedicated circuit IN CONDUIT from the breaker panel to then=
=20
> outlets here the KSU is plugged in.
>=20
> What I got was, "Well maybe I can run an extension cord from somewhere=20
> else."
>=20
> Sigh,  if they got anything I said all I did was troubleshoot their probl=
em=20
> for them for free.  Sigh.  I don't think I'll go back if they call again.=
  I=20
> knew it was going to be one of those calls just from the phone conversati=
on=20
> before I ever went though.
>=20
> Some things you can't fix... phone systems isn't one of them.

 line Noise is one of my specialty  running a 5000 watt AM directional stat=
ion  and all the points you made where valid and are more than likely contr=
ibuting to the problem. I have special filters when neighbors around statio=
n have problem from time to time. So yes tracking it down and killing it ca=
n be a real pain.