Re: Some dumb questions

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 6:26:15 AM UTC-4, stuart noble wrote:
> On Jun 10, 5:03=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > The house in question has double patio doors at the back, which
> > > burglars have forced in the past, and are likely to do again. =A0Ther=
> > > is also a back/kitchen door that is vulnerable. The front of the hous=
> > > is overlooked by neighbours opposite, so unlikely to be a target, but
> > > I would put the third sensor on the front door to be on the safe side=
.
> > > It seems logical to have the alarm go off before entry rather than
> > > wait till they've trashed the doors
> >
> > Double patio doors. Sliding glass doors or french doors? =A0If using di=
rectly applied shock sensors, how do you intend on attaching the sensors to=
 the slider or the opening doors? Are you aware of door cords or take-off b=
locks (not recommended) Probably not. However, it sounds as if using and in=
stalling an audio glass break detectors might be beyond you scope of knowle=
dge. To use an audio glass break detector without a control panel, you'd ha=
ve to be able to lay out a powered circuit using a relay, a power supply, a=
 sounding device and an on off switch. If that is not a project you feel up=
 to, I'd suggest that you bite the bullet and hire an alarm company to inst=
all a simple alarm control, keyswitch and glass break detector for you. Pro=
bably on cost you a few hundred .... depending upon where you're located.

> > Not to be a smart ass but .... do both you and your neighbors spend a l=
ot of time looking at each others houses? I've heard this excuse for not do=
ing the front of a house for decades. I don't know how much time you have o=
n your hands but I don't believe I spend as much as five minutes a day look=
ing at any of my neighbors homes.
>=20
> These are French doors. Come to think of it, they were prised open at
> the bottom with a crowbar or similar, so possibly a straightforward
> door contact would trigger the alarm before a shock detector?
> This is my son's house and there isn't a "few hundred" going spare
> right now. We will contact some local alarm companies but I think it's
> going to be a cheap off the shelf wireless or nothing. It's not the
> sort of house that's going to interest serious burglars, and I suppose
> you're relying on the presence of a siren to deter the low level
> scrotes that visited last time

There are all sorts of "off the shelf" alarm products at Home Depot, Lowes,=
 Radio Shack etc ..... but there's not a soul here who knows a thing about =
them. We all do professional alarm systems and "off the shelf" products are=
 not something we use, endorse, or know anything about.