Re: Alarm Stays On

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 20:56:37 -0500, G. Morgan
<sealteam6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>clare@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>ALSO
>>
>>On any Honeywell Dual Tec I've seen there is a separate 7-16 (usually
>>12) volt power supply  which is polarity sensitive, as well as the
>>alarm contacts - which have 4 different programmable resistor values
>>across the NC contacts if connected C to NC. and another 4 resistors
>>across the NC tamper switch connections. On some you can connect C to
>>EOL - I don't know what the rammifications would be if connected C to
>>EOL.
>>
>>Being Normally Closed contacts, if there is more than one sensor or
>>switch on the loop, they are wired in series, with the EOL resistor
>>across the terminals at the panel (generally) so with the whole string
>>closed the resistance across the circuit is nominally ZERO ohms, and
>>as soon as any contact is opened the panel sees the EOL resistance (in
>>the OP's case, 2.2K ohms. If the sensor is installed jumpered to 2.2K
>>ohms, the panel will see 4.4 k ohms with the sensor tripped - and the
>>panel could "fault".
>>
>>If he is using an external EOL resistor he needs to remove all of the
>>jumpers.
>>
>>If he has not removed the jumpers, it would very likely malfunction
>>with the sensor connected, and work fine with it removed and replaced
>>with a switch or jumper.
>>
>>You can look for zebras and unicorns all day, but when you hear
>>hoofbeats, it's much smarter to look for horses, ponies, or jack-asses
>>first.
>

>LMFAO -- I don't think you have ever seen one based on this
>explanation of alarm system workings.
>
>x-posted to ASA for a good laugh.
 I've installed a few. Some over 30 years ago, The last ones about 15
years ago - wired and wireless - and I've worked on one of the new
ones within the last 2 years - a whole lot more complex - a whole
computer packed into the box, with complex programming up the ying
yang. Other than moving the control panel (keypad) and a few sensors,
I said "get the alarm company - it'll be cheaper than paying my time
to figure out how to program it".

 There's more than just open and closed switches and resistors in the
new digital jobs.  The old analog or "2 bit digital" systems WERE
simple.  The 30 year old ones were a lot simpler than the 15 year old
ones - which were not "leading edge" at the time.

But (at least most of) the sensors from the 30 year old system still
work on the new systems, and many of the new sensors work on the 30
year old ones as well.