Re: The first time in over 20 years.

On Jul 11, 11:43=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:35:43 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> > &quot;Jim&quot; &lt;alarmi...@xxxxxxx&gt; wrote in message
> > &gt; Well, I did something the other day that I haven&#39;t done in ove=
r 20 - 30
> > &gt; years.
> > &gt;
> > &gt; I was drilling a window up to the attic and drilled through the ro=
of.
> > &gt;
> > &gt; DAMN!!!!!
> > &gt;
> > &gt; Fortunately it was an older ranch that someone was renovating so a=
fter
> > &gt; everyone had left, I was able to go back and tar the hole. Embarra=
ssing!!

> > I admit I drilled a roof once, but the more exciting one was the time I
> > drilled a sewer pipe.
>
> > Was standing in the basement looking for what I hit when somebody flush=
ed a
> > toilet. =A0Made a pretty little fountain by the illumination of my mini=
 Mag
> > Light.
>
> > Fortunately ABS pipe is easy to fix.
>
> I drilled through a coppe hot water heating pipe once.
>
> The customer had one sliding glass door and had added another one about 1=
0 inches away with a small wall space inbetween. The first door already had=
 a wire to it and I figured, rather than running a new wire, I'd just drill=
 through the short distance between the two doors and put them both on the =
same z0ne. As I was drilling through, I felt some resistance and not follow=
ing my instinct ( because ..."who would EVER put a pipe THERE?) I just thou=
ght I'd hit a nail.

> My helper, doing something else in the basement yells up ..... Hey there'=
s water running down the wall where you're drilling!!!!

> I was able to open the wall, cut the pipe and sweat a sleeve over it. The=
 biggest concern was that the walls had just been wallpapered and the custo=
mer only had one piece left. It was just long and wide enough to fit in the=
 narrow section between the doors. WHEW!

RHC; My son did much the same thing early on when he was still
learning the installation side of our business. He drilled through a
toilet drain while drilling down to locate for a keypad install. The
client flushed the toilet and he got a facefull !!!!!!

Luckily, the stack was exposed in the basement and I was able to fix
the plastic easily with a special plastic repair bond. But after I
stopped laughing at him, I told him..."hey, this gives new meaning to
the expression when shit hits the fan"

Needless to say, he's been super paranoid about drilling ever
since.....:))