Re: Unbelievable !

On Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:15:43 PM UTC-4, Jim wrote:
> I just got called in to take over an old installation at a residence.
>=20
> Old Napco 825 control panel which means the whole house is on four zones =
  with about 20 openings. The owner had a problem with the original install=
er after many years because he couldn't stop the false alarms that were=
 occuring on the system. So I'm checking out the system to do the estim=
ate .....looking at the wiring in the basement .... doesn't look too ba=
d. Mostly twisted pair as was common 25 years ago. Ball contacts on the doo=
rs. Not a good thing .... but kinda acceptable... but the windows !!!!!  =
=20
>=20
> The old installer had installed roller ball switches on the sides of the =
double hung windows. Drilled through the metal track and weather strip ....=
. cut out the weather strip to accomodate the flange on the roller ball and=
 chisiled some of the wood away underneath the weatherstrip, so that the sa=
sh wouldn't hit the switch flange when moving the sashes up and down. H=
e did this on both the tops and bottom sashes. I can't imagine how long=
 it took to do this on every  window.
>=20
> The owner just wants me to replace the roller balls with the reasoning th=
at the original ones ( which were mechanical contacts) lasted 25 years, the=
 new one's should last longer.=20
>=20
> Even though the owners "logic" is sound .... for some reason I =
just don't feel comfortable with being associated with doing this .... =
imagining that the next installer 25 years from now will be thinking .... w=
hat kind of A-hole would do this?
>=20
> I still haven't decided on how to "fix" this. If I take the=
 rollerballs out, I can just drill a hole through the edge of the moulding =
and run the wire through the edge of the window and install a surface mount=
 contact with the splice residing in the old switch hole. And that'll o=
nly work on the bottom sash. On the top sash, I'd have to install a rec=
essed magnet so the two sashes could pass one another with out knocking off=
 the magnet. Another part of the problem is ..... I'll have two big gap=
ing 3/4 inch holes on each window to fill. And ...... With what? And I'=
m afraid that with the absence of the roller ball, the weather is going to =
come in through where the switches used to be. To me ..... the windows were=
 ruined by the alarm installer.=20
>=20
> It's amazing that the old switched have survived the exposure to the =
weather all these years.=20
>=20
> Any suggestions?????

Whew!     What an array of responses!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I've already said that I'd give him and estimate. And I've pointed ou=
t that the windows have been "damaged". And I've indicated that I would not=
 like to put the rollerball switches back in. So .......... I think that I'=
ll have him sign a waiver that the windows were damaged by the previous ala=
rm company and that in an effort to make the system better, I'll surface mo=
unt the contacts but that I'm not responsible for any future consequenses t=
hat may occur. Yeah, the surface mounts don't look as good, but it's an old=
 house and with blinds or curtains on all the windows the contacts aren't v=
isible. All the windows are painted brown so I'll use brown contacts and th=
ey'll blend in pretty good. With a new control panel and the basement acces=
sable, I'll be able to break the four zones up into zones by the room.=20

And yeah, I probably should walk away but I've priced the job pretty good, =
so I can make sure the quality of the job is brought up to my standards. So=
 ...... if he goes for the price ...... the whole install will be about 80%=
 redone. If he doesn't ..... then it's not worth it. I just have to keep it=
 in the realm of .... all ... or nothing at all.=20

I'll let you know what happens.