Re: Speaking of Commercial

On Jan 24, 3:26=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <n...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You know, of late I have been doing as much machine work (making big piec=
es
> of metal into smaller pieces of metal) as I have communication installing=
,
> but I got a call from a good customer last week who needed some cabling d=
one
> for a bunch of new APs to integrate with an inventory management system. =
=A0I
> was originally working for the plant management company (my current clien=
t)
> on behalf of a company I had never worked for before, but is a plant use
> client of theirs.
>
> It didn't seem particularly challenging technically, but after the first =
day
> when I worked until the batteries died on my scissor lift I was actually
> looking forward to going to work. =A0I normally get the kids off to schoo=
l and
first
> cup of coffee before its time to wake them up, and I've been out the door
> right behind them.
>
> Along the course of the job I coordinated with the IT guy for the company
> requesting the work. =A0Basically he was going to wait for me to run the =
cable
> and install a new J-box to hold the new equipment to accommodate the
> additional APs. =A0Then he was going to hop on the corporate jet and fly =
down
> to tie everything down and install the new hardware.
>
> I asked him a few questions and each time he had an issue I had an answer=
.
> The cost of the job nearly doubled, but they will save that just in jet
> fuel. =A0Their guy is no longer coming down at all. =A0As soon as the new
> switching equipment arrives, I'll be tying it all in for them.
>
> The work itself is enjoyable, but there are several things that made it
> really a positive job for me. =A0Every time they had a concern or a probl=
em I
> had an answer. =A0They didn't expect me to provide all the answers at the
> original price estimate. =A0(Residential is notorious for that.)
>
> I have had some pain is the keester customers with both residential and
> commercial, but I have to say the most fun and profitable individual jobs
> tend to be commercial. =A0This isn't really a big job for me, but it's th=
> most fun I've had with a screwdriver in a while.

It sounds like .... it's the diversification that's the attraction for
you.  That's what makes me get up an dance each morning. I'm thinking
all night long about things I'm going to do tomorrow and next day and
next week. I've always got some kind of research to do for products
and finding out if I can integrate one product with another.

Good for you. Keep up the momentum ..... it's fun.