Re: Need to cut through the BS on Alarm monitoring costs

On 09/02/2012 10:20 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
> Robert Macy Wrote:
>
>> Based upon the following three items:
>> 1. Telephone company uses it, and made it super fast and easy.
>> 2. The Experienced Security System Installers with years of experience
>> that I worked with insisted it was so.
>> 3. My personal experience after ignoring their advice,
>
> We use "B" connectors, not the see thru round ones Telco's use.
>
> They say you don't have to pre-strip the wire, but I make a solid
> mechanical connection then squeeze the whole thing evenly into
> silicone-filled "BB's, peanuts, beans, ...  whatever".
>
> A good solder connection is actually better, but it depends on how the
> joint is sealed after the solder.  Black-tape does not cut it, but that
> is what is used when they don't use BB's.
>
> These:
> http://www.amazon.com/Dolphin-DC-100S-Super-Connector-Sealant/dp/B000JP3GB6

Here on the "wet coast", we used to solder all our connections until GRI
came up with 3/8 mini-contacts with terminals.  No more messing with
off-set in-line splices or trying to wrestle beanies into or out of a
3/8" hole.

--
Frank Kurz
www.firetechs.net