Re: Need to cut through the BS on Alarm monitoring costs

"Russell Brill" <russwbrill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> "blueman" <NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> "doug" <vssdoug@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>> "blueman" <NOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> The bottom line is that alarm monitoring service is pretty much a
>>> commodity
>>> nowadays. The reality is there is little difference in the monitoring
>>> service if you pay $10 or $30 per month, the issues may come if you need
>>> maintenance or repair service.
>>>
>>> We no longer provide service to fire or burglar alarm systems that we
>>> don't
>>> monitor and most service companies won't provide repair service to any
>>> system they don't monitor, or if they do then they charge a premium price
>>> for the service and don't attach any priority to it.
>>>
>>> So, if you can handle the repair/service in-house, or are prepared to pay
>>> premium for repair service and save a couple of hundred per year on
>>> monitoring, then take the lower cost monitoring, but be prepared to pay
>>> substantially more for repair service if and when it is required.
>>
>>> We charge $35 a month for fire alarm monitoring and make no excuses for
>>> not
>>> being the lowest price, do you get better monitoring service with us than
>>> $10 per month company, probably not. What you get is a prompt, reliable
>>> response when you need service or repair, something you are unlikely to
>>> get
>>> with the lower priced monitoring service
>>>

>> All of what you say makes sense and you certainly have the right to
>> charge whatever the market bears in our capitalist sytem. I would do the
>> same if I were in your situation.
>>
>> For me the alarm system is pretty simple to diagnose/repair. Heck the
>> XR200 panel still uses a Z80 CPU and I was designing and
>> building computers with that processer 30 years ago.
>>
>> In any case, the current company doesn't really fix much themselves
>> anyway - they just swap parts. These parts are readily available online
>> for a fraction of the cost they charge anyway. I don't even mind going
>> for a few days without service. My house is over 200 years old and
>> survived fine for its first 200 years without any alarms or monitoring.
>>
>> By the way, the current company which installed the system did a pretty
>> crappy job in some areas with a number of the connections just twisted
>> together rather than soldered or connected with a solderless
>> connector. After a few years, I started getting faults which I tracked
>> down to these bad junctions. A little blob of solder fixed it all.
>>
>> Bottom line though is that if you know simple electronics and computer
>> programmming, alarms are actually quite simple...
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, does your $35/month include service or is that an
>> extra charge?
>
> Come to think of it, I can save lots of money on my IT needs by doing
> business with companies that get rid of their high paid North American
> employees and outsource everything to some third world country... After all,
> [...]

Well, you would be pretty *stupid* to be overpaying for commodity
service. Both products and services are source all over the world. If
the quality is the same, why overpay for computers, software or anything
else.. You do know that most computer parts are manufactured and
assembled overseas. Even Apple, that paradigm of a quality US company,
does nearly all of its manufacture and assembly overseas.

Of course, here I am just talking 'outsourcing' to another state in the
US. Hardly radical in the 21st centruy. I wouldn't think that there
would be too much of a language barrier with someone in Kansas calling
my fire or police department.