Re: PK5501 LCD Some Keys Don't Work

"tourman" <robercampbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:b1b9fd9f-16fd-4e7c-b718-9830f28d06b2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:36:42 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On Oct 10, 9:33 am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:00:20 AM UTC-4, Frank Kurz wrote:
>
> > > On 07/10/2012 8:25 PM, Jim wrote: > On Friday, October 5, 2012 8:44:28
> > > PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >> "Jim" <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote in
> > > messagenews:ef5b0e3a-9a06-42a5-b0bd-de8ac9c067fa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
> > > On Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:59:48 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >>
> > > PK5501 LCD Some Keys Don't Work I had a service call to move a keypad
> > >  >> today because the customer is removing the wall where it was
> > > previously >> mounted. After the move keys 369# (and the various
> > > special function keys) >> no longer work. Keys 124578*0 still work
> > > fine and user codes using those >> keys (fortunately they had some
> > > programmed) still arm and disarm. I >> didn't drop or abuse the keypad
> > > in anyway during the move. It seemed like >> an easy service call. Any
> > > suggestions? I did already order a replacement >> keypad. > > Had they
> > > already begun construction? Maybe dust inside? Did you > disassemble
> > > and look at the lands on the PC board? Is there a ribbon > connector
> > > that may have come loose? I don't know the configuration/layout > of
> > > the keypad but it looks possible that 3,6,9 and # are all in a v
> > > erticle > row. That would indicate (to me, anyway) either a loose/bad
> > > connection > either on the PC board or wires in the keypad or
> > > something to do with the > processors matrix. If you have an eye loup
> > > or good magnifier, look at the > solder connections on the PC board.
> > > In removing the Keypad, you may have > flexed the PC Board and broken
> > > a component or lead solder connection. It > depends on how crazy you
> > > want to get with it but, you could touch each of > the solder
> > > connections with a (not too hot ) iron. > Nah! Only I'm that crazy. I
> > > did take it apart and give it the eyeball, but I didn't go get my
> > > reading glasses out of the truck. Never carried a loupe in the truck,
> > > but I do have a couple in the shop. Maybe its time to start. > > At
> > > times I think I could use a pair of glasses with two 20X eye loupes
> > > glued onto the lens of the glasses. > > I think it must be the air
> > > polution that prevents me from seeing as good as I used to. >
>

> > Naw. It's the sea air. Too much salt in your eyes. :-)
>

> > I didn't think of that excuse.
>

> > How kind of you.
>

> Swapped the keypad, works perfectly including some codes that didn't
>
> work before...  interesting.

RHC: Occasionally I find DSC panels and keypads can do VERY strange things.
Today I  was working with a 5501 keypad on a DSC panel and suddenly all the
zones didn't work any more, while they were working just fine before I
messed with the keypad. Well to make a long story short, "somehow" messing
with the panel turned "off" all the zones 1 through 8 in Section 202,
disabling all zones. There is absolutely NO logical way this should have
happened but it did since I up until that point hadn't entered installer
programming mode... WTF!

And of course there is the other rule to remember with DSC panels..if
something isn't happening the way it should, or there's a trouble that just
wont go away, power the panel down and back up. Chances are it may solve
that inexplicable problem...WTF

Weird little PITA things like the DSC Gremlins is why I gave up on Napco
years ago... I got tired of the panel freaking out, when I just wanted to
program and test the thing and GO Home.......