[no subject]

- The panel, physically and in theory, is basically on par with the
Simon's, Lynx's, and DSC9047's of the world.  The plastic is a bit
flimsy, much like the SimonXT.  Also, the "third hand" feature is
just plain stupid, especially as this is one the "innovations" that
this panel is bringing to the table.  It allows the panel to hang
down too far and mark up the wall when you're trying to wire it.
There is also the "smash and grab" feature, which seems clever in
theory, although I've never tested it.  However, it's only available
with a cell communicator, not on a phone line, something the sales
guy might not have mentioned.

- The panel's power supply, and it's over-engineered but clever
retention clip, is nice as it can be mounted upside-down.  However,
14 volts DC is annoying and not something you'll find on any other
panel.  It would have made a lot of sense to have it 12 volts DC and
a low amperage, as the main market of this system is for
doorknockers, who could use the existing panel (assuming there is an
old hardwired system to takeover) for power and the existing keypad
wire to get there.  Also, being DC (unlike any other panel) makes
you think about how you wire it as every other panel is AC.

- The panel's phone connection is terrible.  It needs to be
redeisgned, as they're currently shipping the wrong parts.  As with
any other system (wired or wireless) you get a jack and a cord.
However, the cord they ship is intended to be wired into terminals
on the panel like a hardwired panel.  What this system should be
shipped with is a cord similar to that of the Simon3/XT.  I haven't
tried that specific cord on the 2gig panels yet, but suspect it
would work just fine.  For now what I've had to do is use the jack
like a junction box, wired to demarc as normal, but using the cord
wired directly to the terminals of the jack and then plugged into
the panel.  This provides line seizure (assuming you were wiring for
line seizure in the first place) but doesn't allow for an inline DSL
filter if needed.  Also, if you're thinking about being clever and
splicing the wire from demarc to the phone cord to avoid putting a
very large hole into the wall, think again.  The phone plug sticks
out too far from the panel and requires a hole in the wall.

- The panel's volume control needs to have separate options for
voice and beeps.  Currently, it's one volume control.  If you want
the voice chime to be loud enough to hear (which many people like,
especially with small kids in the house), then the beeps are nearly
deafening.  I suppose this is a leftover feature of the Ademco
products, which have always been abrasive and non-user-frieldly.

- The standard door contacts (DW10-345?) seems to work well.
Fortunately they can be mounted either with doorknocker tape or with
screws.  The magnets, on the other hand, cannot be attached with
screws, only tape.  There is also the option of using the included
connector to splice onto a hardwired contact, although I've never
used it.  These contacts are the main reminder of this systems
Ademco-based background, as the default loop number is still 2.

- The standard motion detectors (PIR1-345?) are easy to install and
get reasonable straight in the corner of the wall with the wide
sides.  Assuming, of course, that the walls are reasonably straight.
However, they have a very cheap look to them, which doesn't give
people a sense of security.

- The motion detector's retaining screw is ugly and can be awkward
to install while trying to hold the motion on the backplate before
it falls to the floor.  It's also set back so far that it's
difficult to get a regular-sized screwdriver to it without scraping
your hand against the walls.  A smaller, whiter, screw would have
been nice.  However, it's still better than GE's design of a tiny,
semi-optional, screw in the top of the motion without a pre-drilled
hole to put it into.

- The standard smoke detectors of the moment (SMKT3) seem to be
tested by throwing them out there and letting installers figure them
out for themselves.  They have separate loops for smoke (1) heat (2)
and freeze (3), which is easy to forget when every other smoke/heat
combo unit just uses one zone.  Also, I'm not sure why you'd want a
freeze sensor on the ceiling, especially when it'll likely be in the
highest area of the house (upstairs hallway by the bedrooms).  I'd
much rather have a freeze sensor in an area that will be cold
sooner, and matter more, like the utility room.  The design could
use a bit of tweaking (DSC), but I've seen worse (GE).  My main
concern with these smokes is that I've had one (out of only 5 or so
installations) that was defective out of the box.  It would enroll
into the panel, it would tamper, it would restore the tamper, but it
would not go into alarm.  20% failure rate is not acceptable.

- The keyfobs (KEY2-345?) seem decent and work much like any other.
The best part about these keyfobs is that they don't use a separate
zone for each button, unlike their Ademco ancestors.  This saves a
lot of time (and zones) in programming, but may limit their use to
just being a keyfob.

All in all, if I were to go with an all-in-one panel, the 2gig would
be my second choice after DSC's 9047.  This, of course, may just be
due to my preference with DSC's panels to begin with.  However, I'd
still prefer (for myself and my customers) a hardwired panel.  I
would choose it over a SimonXT and most definitely over a Lynx
(which I wouldn't even have on my wall, much less use).  Besides, if
you can get a wire from the keypad to a power receptacle, you can
often find a way to get a real panel installed somewhere in between.
And if you really want a touchscreen, everyone else is also making
them for their existing systems.

- Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the great input.  Now that is exactly what I was looking
for.  Clear, concise information.  I thank you for the great typing
skills as well.

I can agree with you about the availability of a touch screen by
others.................. except for Networx.  I really wish someone
would make a move at UTC to make that happen, but, that is another
thread.

Again, thanks for the input.  Very helpful.

Regards,

Les