[no subject]

- The panel, physically and in theory, is basically on par with the Simon's=
, Lynx's, and DSC9047's of the world.  The plastic is a bit flimsy, much li=
ke the SimonXT.  Also, the "third hand" feature is just plain stupid, espec=
ially as this is one the "innovations" that this panel is bringing to the t=
able.  It allows the panel to hang down too far and mark up the wall when y=
ou're trying to wire it.  There is also the "smash and grab" feature, which=
 seems clever in theory, although I've never tested it.  However, it's only=
 available with a cell communicator, not on a phone line, something the sal=
es guy might not have mentioned.

- The panel's power supply, and it's over-engineered but clever retention c=
lip, is nice as it can be mounted upside-down.  However, 14 volts DC is ann=
oying and not something you'll find on any other panel.  It would have made=
 a lot of sense to have it 12 volts DC and a low amperage, as the main mark=
et of this system is for doorknockers, who could use the existing panel (as=
suming there is an old hardwired system to takeover) for power and the exis=
ting keypad wire to get there.  Also, being DC (unlike any other panel) mak=
es you think about how you wire it as every other panel is AC.

- The panel's phone connection is terrible.  It needs to be redeisgned, as =
they're currently shipping the wrong parts.  As with any other system (wire=
d or wireless) you get a jack and a cord.  However, the cord they ship is i=
ntended to be wired into terminals on the panel like a hardwired panel.  Wh=
at this system should be shipped with is a cord similar to that of the Simo=
n3/XT.  I haven't tried that specific cord on the 2gig panels yet, but susp=
ect it would work just fine.  For now what I've had to do is use the jack l=
ike a junction box, wired to demarc as normal, but using the cord wired dir=
ectly to the terminals of the jack and then plugged into the panel.  This p=
rovides line seizure (assuming you were wiring for line seizure in the firs=
t place) but doesn't allow for an inline DSL filter if needed.  Also, if yo=
u're thinking about being clever and splicing the wire from demarc to the p=
hone cord to avoid putting a very large hole into the wall, think again.  T=
he phone plug sticks out too far from the panel and requires a hole in the =
wall.

- The panel's volume control needs to have separate options for voice and b=
eeps.  Currently, it's one volume control.  If you want the voice chime to =
be loud enough to hear (which many people like, especially with small kids =
in the house), then the beeps are nearly deafening.  I suppose this is a le=
ftover feature of the Ademco products, which have always been abrasive and =
non-user-frieldly.

- The standard door contacts (DW10-345?) seems to work well.  Fortunately t=
hey can be mounted either with doorknocker tape or with screws.  The magnet=
s, on the other hand, cannot be attached with screws, only tape.  There is =
also the option of using the included connector to splice onto a hardwired =
contact, although I've never used it.  These contacts are the main reminder=
 of this systems Ademco-based background, as the default loop number is sti=
ll 2.

- The standard motion detectors (PIR1-345?) are easy to install and get rea=
sonable straight in the corner of the wall with the wide sides.  Assuming, =
of course, that the walls are reasonably straight.  However, they have a ve=
ry cheap look to them, which doesn't give people a sense of security.

- The motion detector's retaining screw is ugly and can be awkward to insta=
ll while trying to hold the motion on the backplate before it falls to the =
floor.  It's also set back so far that it's difficult to get a regular-size=
d screwdriver to it without scraping your hand against the walls.  A smalle=
r, whiter, screw would have been nice.  However, it's still better than GE'=
s design of a tiny, semi-optional, screw in the top of the motion without a=
 pre-drilled hole to put it into.

- The standard smoke detectors of the moment (SMKT3) seem to be tested by t=
hrowing them out there and letting installers figure them out for themselve=
s.  They have separate loops for smoke (1) heat (2) and freeze (3), which i=
s easy to forget when every other smoke/heat combo unit just uses one zone.=
  Also, I'm not sure why you'd want a freeze sensor on the ceiling, especia=
lly when it'll likely be in the highest area of the house (upstairs hallway=
 by the bedrooms).  I'd much rather have a freeze sensor in an area that wi=
ll be cold sooner, and matter more, like the utility room.  The design coul=
d use a bit of tweaking (DSC), but I've seen worse (GE).  My main concern w=
ith these smokes is that I've had one (out of only 5 or so installations) t=
hat was defective out of the box.  It would enroll into the panel, it would=
 tamper, it would restore the tamper, but it would not go into alarm.  20% =
failure rate is not acceptable.

- The keyfobs (KEY2-345?) seem decent and work much like any other.  The be=
st part about these keyfobs is that they don't use a separate zone for each=
 button, unlike their Ademco ancestors.  This saves a lot of time (and zone=
s) in programming, but may limit their use to just being a keyfob.

All in all, if I were to go with an all-in-one panel, the 2gig would be my =
second choice after DSC's 9047.  This, of course, may just be due to my pre=
ference with DSC's panels to begin with.  However, I'd still prefer (for my=
self and my customers) a hardwired panel.  I would choose it over a SimonXT=
 and most definitely over a Lynx (which I wouldn't even have on my wall, mu=
ch less use).  Besides, if you can get a wire from the keypad to a power re=
ceptacle, you can often find a way to get a real panel installed somewhere =
in between.  And if you really want a touchscreen, everyone else is also ma=
king them for their existing systems.

- Chris