Re: I need to improve the factory alarm on my car.

On Sep 17, 2:52=A0pm, micky <NONONOmis...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just bought a "new" car which has a factory alarm. =A0Unfortunately, I
> don't think it's as good as the aftermarket alarm I installed on the
> last two cars.
>
> The car alarm is very important to me because I've had my car taken
> twice, and things stolen from a car I owned at least 5 times.
>
> So maybe you can help me make it better. =A0 =A0 It's a 2000 Toyota
> Solara.
>
> In reverse logical order:
>
> 1) =A0It has no siren, just a horn or two that beeps for a half second
> every second, for a minute total. =A0 I don't think that is loud enough
> or long enough. =A0
> =A0 =A0 =A0 I have a regular sirern and a PsychoSiren from prior cars'
> alarms, but I don't think adding either of them will help much if
> there is an interrruption every second. =A0How would I power them
> continuously even though the factory alarm output goes on and off??
>
> 2) =A0Using a key in the doors or trunk disarm the current alarm. =A0For
> some reason, I think there was a little more protection when I had to
> turn off the alarm separately from opening with a key. =A0Anyone feel
> the same way? =A0 Any way to do this while still piggy-backing on the
> factory alarm?
>
> 3) In my last 2 Chrysler Lebarons, lifiting the door handle turned on
> the courtesy lights, which also meant they set off the aftermarket car
> alarm. =A0 Which means they set off the alarm BEFORE they broke a window
> or cut the convertible top. =A0 I don't know how to duplicate this
> except by gluing an extension to the door handle, inside the door, and
> running a nylon string to a micro switch with a long arm, which I
> would glue or if I'm lucky, screw somewhere inide the door. =A0 Do you
> think I can glue these things so they will last for a few years
> without falling off? =A0 Or maybe you have a better idea? =A0 =A0 Because
> I'm not happy with all this gluing.
>
> I would probaly use PC-7 epoxy paste for glue. =A0 And maybe 60?/90?
> second epoxee first, to hold the extension piece in place while the
> PC-7 hardens (for which I usually allow 24 hours)
>
> Thanks for any help.

I second Roberts suggestions and can add two more.
If  you were happy with the aftermarket alarm in your last car, have
another one installed in your new car instead of trying to cluge
togethers something that may not work when you need it. Secondly, if
you've bought another convertable, you're not going to stop them from
taking things from your car ..... now are you?  Just install a new
alarm and use the "club" as Robert suggested or two of them. Once they
see two "Clubs" they wont even bother to take the time to get past
them.

By the way, this group is primarily about the installation of
residential and commercial alarm systems. I don't think anyone here
does car alarms.

Good luck.