Re: Bad port on DVR weird trouble shoot

On Sep 18, 11:38=A0am, "RockyTSquirrel" <gafa_...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nick, =A0 we got a similar =A0 problem =A0at a city pool complex..
>
> DVR and 3 cameras are on one power source (220v 2 phase)
> and 9 other cameras are on another power source (440v 3 phase, Delta wire=
> transformers)
>
> it seems after each little power surge =A0they loose several cameras or D=
VR
> ports.. =A0( go figure , LOL)
> I've told the Boss =A0repeatedly =A0to pick one power source =A0and tie e=
verything
> together off it..
>
> But after 4 years, nothings been changed.. =A0and after 6 to 10 cameras e=
ach
> year being replaced..
>
> Go figure, =A0some people.....
> RTS
>
> "nick markowitz" =A0wrote in message

> On Sep 17, 10:00 pm, "Just Looking" <S...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > If there is a separate power supply for each camera I have seen that ty=
pe
> > problem before.
> > If you get rid of the ground on the A/C plug to the DVR or to the camer=
> > (or
> > camera power supply) that can help. There is also a thing called a grou=
nd
> > isolation transformer to take care of the problem. However if you're in=
> > the Nuvico priced stuff that would be out of the question to solve it w=
ith
> > that.http://stna.resource.bosch.com/documents/TC8235GIT_DataSheet_enUS_=
T30...

> > "nick markowitz" <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

.

> > > CCTV system i put in couple years back has been working fine and
> > > customer called to say cameras pictures rolling all over them selves.
> > > Get there and =A0looks like AC feeding into video find camera 3 causi=
ng
> > > problem so I isolate it and start testing and camera is not bad but
> > > here the port on DVR is bad. =A0First time I have seen this usually t=
he
> > > port =A0just goes dead on a DVR not doing the rollover thing. its a
> > > EV4000 Nuvico and first time I have ever had a problem with any of
> > > there stuff =A0in over 5 years =A0of installing there cameras and DVR=
 any
> > > one else run into it?
>
> He only has 3 cameras so I moved the camera to the unused port to
> solve the problem. for now like I told him by time he is ready to add
> a camera it will be time to get a new DVR the way prices are coming
> down in cost.
> I had surge protection and UPS =A0on DVR =A0and had a ditek surge
> protector on =A0the inputs to ports plus common power supply etc to
> prevent problems as there on top of a hill
> But they had a lightning strike nearby that effected neighbors so was
> that cause? who knows. strange it would only bother one port.
>
> I had a problem at a mini storage facility where couple cameras where
> always going out but solved it with isolation transformers after we
> realized the power source for the cameras was coming from a separate
> derived =A0power source
> after we traced and found it was coming from a separate power line to
> property. Owner did not realize utility was feeding his property =A0that
> way. as he only got on unified bill.

Thats where I learned the value of Isolation transformers working at
the Radio station  seeing how effective they where at isolating noise
and surges etc.. There not cheap but there worth every dollar you put
into them when dealing with multiple power sources. In early years of
cameras the only way you got them to work properly was all on same
phase but as they improved it was not the big deal it  once was but
then you deal with the problems of surges and lightning and
circulating neutral currents.