Re: Fire Alarms Certification

Frank Kurz Wrote:

>Their
>current annunciator looks really hokey when you have to stack it as well
>(which is pretty well a given for most installations).

I have not touched a FACP in years.  The Fire-Lite academy focused on
their first addressable panel (the MS-9200), I think that was their
first addressable one.  All they did was talk about how great it was,
but I was in the middle of an installation (our first company-installed
addressable) and really could have used some guidance.  It was more
geared towards sales folks and/or architects, than the technician.

I did most of that job myself, and no one else at our company knew how
the damned thing worked.  I just studied the manual for 2 weeks before
it was time to power-up.  Everything went without a hitch the first time
around on auto-programming of devices.  One of my air handlers would not
shut down on alarm though.  Who knew I was supposed to wrap tape around
the 110V terminals before putting the relay modules in a 4X4 box?  It
certainly was not in the manual, and no one told me @ F.L. of course.

Live and learn I guess.  My boss wasn't even mad at me, it was my first
time running a big job and had non-conventional parts ( in 1994 they
were still a little 'mysterious').  I think he returned it for credit,
even though I let the blue-smoke from the inner's come out.

I wish they would stop packaging every electronic board with the blue
smoke.  It seems like every time I let just a "little" smoke out, it
don't want to work no more!  They should at least put more smoke in
there so you don't lose it "all" when you have a 110v dead-short to the
module and AHU conduit.  (we use metal boxes in the US, so they have a
path to ground).  I would have been better off telling the electrician
to install PVC 4 squares, and just ground it with a strap!  Lol....
sorry, couldn't resist.

--

"We completely understand that he's not able to come, but that the invitation was made in that spirit,"
--White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, on Obama inviting Bush to the World Trade Center site.