Re: Fire Alarms Certification

On May 11, 12:01=A0pm, G. Morgan <usenet_ab...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> James B Wrote:
>
> >Do you need to be certified on every brand of fire alarm panel you
> >work on? =A0With so many different brands out their how does this
> >work?
>
> If one is licensed in Texas, they can work on any FACP legally. =A0The
> issue with manufacturer certs. comes in on individual jobs, where the
> customer has specified the equipment. =A0It applies with security too, fo=
> example many moons ago; I helped install cctv/access control at the new
> Federal Reserve Bank in Houston. =A0The customer (feds in this case),
> required at least one factory trained Lennell and one Pelco certified
> tech to always be on-site.
>
> --
>
> "We completely understand that he's not able to come, but that the invita=
tion was made in that spirit,"
> --White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, on Obama inviting Bush to the W=
orld Trade Center site.

We have a specific job that has an old notifier fire alarm panel.  The
panel is zoned and not addressable.  They are adding on to the
building and we have been asked to add about 5 smoke detectors to the
system.  The additions were designed by an engineer but he has
sugested we cannot do the work because we dont have a certified
Notifier tech on our staff.  The 5 smokes that need to be added have
been spec'd as system sensor, and so are the horn strobes.  The panel
has 1 unused zone that will handle up to 25 of these paticular smokes.

Our customer is the end user, and they prefer us to do the work.  We
will still do the work, and just sub out our local Notifier dealer to
inspect it.  It just seems silly that we cant add 5 smokes to an
existing system.

James B