Re: Smoke alarms

On May 4, 1:56=A0pm, zig <wallstreet123...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On May 4, 7:31=A0am, nick markowitz <nmarkow...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I don't have the 2010 edition, and it's not used yet anyway. =A0What =
does
> > > the whole section read? =A0You skipped the "must, shall, or should".

> > > No, from what you posted it looks like they are talking about non-sys=
tem
> > > sensors.
>
> > > The 10 year thing doesn't apply to system smokes because they are tes=
ted
> > > at least annually, and commercial smokes have swap-able/cleanable
> > > sensing chambers. =A0They also have ample backup power, and are super=
vised
> > > 24/7.
>
> > > Any detector you buy at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.. needs to be tossed
> > > every 10 years because it's a consumer product.
>
> > I have not found any code . It is a recommendation. on smoke alarms.
> > but most consumers do not know difference between a smoke alarm and a
> > smoke detector.- Hide quoted text -

> Should the optical chamber be replaced at certain intervals or only if
> there are issues with the smoke detectors?-

I don't think there is any "should" involved.

If the chamber needs to be changed upon inspection ..... then change
it.
You could also, just as a matter of policy, change the chamber every
time you inspect it. It's your choice.

Me? If the chamber can be cleaned sufficently to a "like new"
condition .... I clean it. If not or there is any doubt, I change it.