Re: Smoke alarms

Harry Wrote:

>The US National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) have issued NFPA
>Standard 72, National Fire Alarm and Signalling Code (2010 edition),
>which states:
>
>â??Replace all smoke alarms, including those that use ten-year batteries
>and hard-wired alarms, when they are ten years old or sooner if they
>donâ??t respond properly when tested.â??

I don't have the 2010 edition, and it's not used yet anyway.  What does
the whole section read?  You skipped the "must, shall, or should".

>This would indicate to me that the type of power supply is fairly
>immaterial.

No, from what you posted it looks like they are talking about non-system
sensors.

The 10 year thing doesn't apply to system smokes because they are tested
at least annually, and commercial smokes have swap-able/cleanable
sensing chambers.  They also have ample backup power, and are supervised
24/7.

Any detector you buy at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.. needs to be tossed
every 10 years because it's a consumer product.