Re: Smoke alarms

On May 4, 8:14=A0am, Frank Kurz <t...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The link has about changing out smokes at 10 years =A0and other good
> >> stuff might want to put it in FAQ section-
>
> > Nick, I don't know if I'm missing something or what, but I don't see
> > where it says that smoke detectors have to be changed every 10 years.
>
> > This is all I see. "=95Replace all smoke alarms, including alarms that
> > use 10-year batteries and hard-wired alarms, when they are 10 year old
> > or sooner if they do not respond properly."
>
> > Is there something else I've missed? The above seems to be a safety
> > "suggestion" but not a "code". =A0This issue has come up before here an=
> > in other forums and it seems to me that I remember that there is no
> > actual "code" that calls for replacement of smoke "detectors" =A0only
> > smoke "alarms" .... at the 10 year mark.
>
> You haven't missed anything, Jim. =A0The ten year replacement requirement
> doesn't apply to system smoke detectors.
>
> --
> Frank Kurzwww.firetechs.net

Hi

There is a general understanding that electrical equipment including
sensors etc should be replaced after ten years. With regards to smoke
alarms there has been some work by the US National Fire Protection
Association (NFPA):
The US National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) have issued NFPA
Standard 72, National Fire Alarm and Signalling Code (2010 edition),
which states:

=93Replace all smoke alarms, including those that use ten-year batteries
and hard-wired alarms, when they are ten years old or sooner if they
don=92t respond properly when tested.=94

This would indicate to me that the type of power supply is fairly
immaterial.

More data:

1) The Minnesota Department of Public Safety cite a nationwide study
undertaken by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which
states that 97% of smoke alarms should still be functioning after one
year, if supplied with power.  After ten years it is 73%

2) The South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service state that smoke
alarm technology has improved significantly since legislation was
introduced (similar requirements to the 1992 UK ones were introduced
in Australia in 1995) and replacing old smoke alarms is an ideal
opportunity to upgrade smoke alarm systems.  The Australian Standard
for smoke alarms (AS 3786) specifies an effective life of 10 years,
suggesting that after that time effectiveness may be compromised with
accumulated dust, insects, airborne contaminants and corrosion of
electrical circuitry

Harry