Re: Smoke alarms

On May 2, 3:20=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On May 2, 1:57=A0pm, zig <wallstreet123...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On May 2, 12:32=A0pm, "Bob La Londe" <onebike...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > "zig" <wallstreet123...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

..

> > > I have heard it said before that smoke detectors should be replaced e=
very
> > > ten years. =A0I would download the installation sheet for your smoke =
detector
> > > and test them (if they have a magnet test) according to the sheet and
> > > replace any that do not test within spec. =A0You may want to replace =
them
> > > anyway as there was an ESL 400 series smoke recall sometime back then=
.
> > > Currently I like the ESL 521 BXT for general 2-wire applications.
>
> > Thanks Bob,
> > Is it as easy as just removing the wires from the old units and
> > attaching them to the new detectors or must I do something on the
> > alarm panel first?-
>
> If you don't power down the panel, when you disconnect your old
> smokes, the panel will go into a trouble condition and you could cause
> an actual alarm. ( I don't know if you're hooked to central station or
> not)
>
> Probably better if you just power down the panel, remove and replace
> the smoke detectors then power back up.
>
> Mark all the wires so you know which is positive and negative, before
> you remove the wires from the old detectors.
>
> If you're connected to Central Station, call them first and put the
> system on test before you do the following.
> Test all the new detectors after you power the system back up. There's
> a magnet test function but I like to use real smoke. There is "smoke
> in a can" that you can buy but no one has ever convinced me that it
> doesn't leave something behind in the smoke chamber. I take a couple
> of paper towels and twist them really-really =A0 =A0 tight. Over a sink, =
> light the paper towels and just let them burn for a minute or so and
> then blow out the flame. The towels will remain smoking for quite some
> time. Go back to the sink occasionally and blow on the towels to keep
> the embers glowing and to get rid of the ash. =A0Get a magazine or
> newspaper to bring with you to use as a fan to clear the smoke from
> the detector. You may want to temporaraly disconnect the siren from
> the panel =A0Get a small ladder so you can hold the smoking towels very
> close to the detector. It can take a minute or more for the detector
> to trip, depending on a couple of factors. When the detector trips,
> fan it with the magazine/etc for 20/30 seconds to clear the chamber.
> Check the keypad for the proper detector and reset the system. Go to
> the next detector .... etc.
>
> This method WILL leave a little burning smell in the house but it
> dissipates quickly.
>
> Reconnect the siren.

The 10 year recommendation from NFPA is in regards to Ionization type
smoke detectors not photo electric which you have as long as they pass
yearly inspection there should be bo problems with them. how ever ESL
does have to have a higher false alarm rate as they geet older and
dirty if your going to replace them look at the System sensor brand I
-3
Brand very good units and they warn if they get dirty.