Re: Smoke alarms

"Bob La Londe" <onebikenut@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:ipmmb2$bv6$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "zig" <wallstreet123456@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I have three two wire smoke alarms hard wired to my Napco 3200 panel.
>> The smoke detectors are over 13 years old and they labeled ESL
>> (Photoelectic)  2-Wire Smoke Detector.
>> Should smoke detectors be replaced after a certain period of time and
>> if so what Brand/model do you recommend to replace these with and what
>> are the
>> steps required to install the new ones?
>>
>> As always thanks for your help.
>>

>> Steven
>
> I have heard it said before that smoke detectors should be replaced every
> ten years.  I would download the installation sheet for your smoke
> detector and test them (if they have a magnet test) according to the sheet
> and replace any that do not test within spec.  You may want to replace
> them anyway as there was an ESL 400 series smoke recall sometime back
> then. Currently I like the ESL 521 BXT for general 2-wire applications.

I use to put in all ESL 521BXT's up till I got a shipment of 5 detectors
that were dirty out of the box.  Had some gray cloudy something inside the
hockey puck.  I first shook it off as a bad batch and did get credit from GE
but it took over 2 months.  Then the straw and broke the camel was when I
got hit again 6 months later with the same issue.  I am now only installing
System Sensor smokes.  GE/UTC is suppose to be still trying to figure out
what is going on.  I don't care if they ever figure it out.  I am now a non
believer.

And I still do not believe the statement when I talked to tech support.
"Never heard of that before!"
Oh me of little faith.

Les