Re: NetTalk Duo VoIP

On Mar 27, 11:48=A0pm, "Doug" <d...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> "tourman" <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> On Mar 27, 9:04 pm, Jim Rojas <jro...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Every technology in existence has its problems...nothing should go
> > without concern.
>
> > POTS lines get garbled or even die in rainy weather.
> > VoIP is subject to bandwidth, echoes, and the high compression of data
> > streams.
> > DSL is just plain too noisy.
> > GSM works as long as someone maintains the local cell towers.
> > IP works as long as the customer pays their bill.
>
> > We do the best we can with what we have.
>
> > Jim Rojas
> > Technical Manuals Online!http://www.tech-man.com
> > 8002 Cornwall Lane
> > Tampa, FL 33615-4604
> > 813-884-6335
> >RHC: Well, I'm going to be testing this device on a DSL high speed
> >connection over a POTS line, and it's using Contact ID, so we'll see
> >what we see....
>
> What you'll see is how well the device works on your home/office line at =
the
> time of testing.
>
> Unfortunately since its Voip and subject to the same issues as any other
> Voip service it won't tell you much about how it will perform in the fiel=
> tomorrow, next week or next month.
>
> Other than using it for voice, fax and possibly using it for downloading =
I'm
> not sure what attraction this device holds for anyone in the alarm indust=
ry,
> if the customer has no land line and has broadband then they probably
> already have Voip of some sort and liability wise you would probably be
> better off using their Voip (with a suitable disclaimer), rather than you
> providing or recommending a Voip device for them to use.
>
> If they have no land line or Voip but have broadband, then in my opinion =
you
> would be better off using an IP communicator.
>
> With the low cost of cellular devices and the low monthly rates available=
> prefer to use cellular for backup for those customers who choose to use V=
oip
> for their alarm service.
>
> Doug

RHC: Using cellular is where I am now. I would like to find something
else beyond that at a lower cost. The Uplink 2530 is $300 and it adds
monthly to the monitoring rate. I do sell a lot of these. The DSC IP
communicator is also about $300 with no monthly extra....looking at
this option too..

I would be nice to find a less expensive option for clients. If I
don't, it won't be a killer though.....