installing new keupad for Ademco security system

-------------------------------------
                      .
                     / V\
                   / `  /
                 < <   |
                  /    |
                /      |

I have to replace a 6127 Keypad with a newer one - ademco 6148. If I power
down the system by unplugging the power source and disconnecting the
battery, can I simply replace the keyboard without having to reprogram
everything?

Your experienced suggestions are needed before I screw things up.